This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Atari Gamebox

Hey guys, long time no see (i know...lol). How you doin'?

Anyway back on topic, any of you guys heard of this? Apparently Atari is making a comeback to console production.

VanishedNine

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

ive beeen hearing about this for a while but who knows if it will actually happen. Will it compete with todays consoles or will it be another Ouya?

• Tbh i don't really know, Atari is being quite quiet about it, not revealing too much. All i know is that apparently there will be two models (woodgrain and black), that it'll use PC technologies (i'm expecting it to whether be like Ooya or maybe the Steambox), that games will be digital (no catridge slots for retro gaming, nor disc readers), and that they'll have their own Live services.

The only other recent news i've heard from Atari were actively working on the Pong table Project

And that they started a Kickstarter for the Gameband

And that's pretty much it. I sure am glad to see that they reopened the doors to development though 'cause it's friggin Atari...lol

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Rumour is that they are using crowd funding like the Ouya did.... So people arent really expecting this project to be anything substantial if it happens at all.

• @Law212 said:
    Rumour is that they are using crowd funding like the Ouya did.... So people arent really expecting this project to be anything substantial if it happens at all.

Yeah but they have an advantage over Ouya, they already got a large fanbase. All they need to do is get the word out then they'll have a good amount of that financement to work with.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I dont known about that. At this point we dont know enough. and eventhough people have a nostalgic love for atari, a crowdfunded project wont be able to make a current comsole competitor.... Also there are tons of atari flashback consoles already that a throwback cosnole that plays old games wont be worth it either.

Some think it might be a streaming service for old atari games...

• @Law212 said:
    I dont known about that. At this point we dont know enough. and eventhough people have a nostalgic love for atari, a crowdfunded project wont be able to make a current comsole competitor.... Also there are tons of atari flashback consoles already that a throwback cosnole that plays old games wont be worth it either.

Some think it might be a streaming service for old atari games...

From what i've heard (rumors, of course) is that they intend to be current or next gen, depending on when it would release. And they'll probably also get lots of retro products in their service but not exclusive to that.

The Gameband worries me most... it's seems like a gimmicky version of iWatch, and could easily fail to appeal before it even starts.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

We will have to wait and see. I dont think this will turn out good for them