This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

I tip my hat to EB games

So today I received exceptional Customer Service from EB. My brand new Snes classic was malfunctioning. So Monday I packed it up and walked into my local EB. Told the girl working that it was broken and I wanted to exchange it. She told me there were none in stock and that she would have to call someone to figure out what to do. Today I got a call from her that there is one there waiting for me, and for me to come in and exchange mine.

I have heard all the horror stories about EB over the years. I know intimately both sides of the New/used debate. But this is why I shop there. THAT was exceptional customer service that exceeded my expectations.

Comments

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    So today I received exceptional Customer Service from EB. My brand new Snes classic was malfunctioning. So Monday I packed it up and walked into my local EB. Told the girl working that it was broken and I wanted to exchange it. She told me there were none in stock and that she would have to call someone to figure out what to do. Today I got a call from her that there is one there waiting for me, and for me to come in and exchange mine.

I have heard all the horror stories about EB over the years. I know intimately both sides of the New/used debate. But this is why I shop there. THAT was exceptional customer service that exceeded my expectations.

That's really good to hear @EchoGolfSierra , glad you had a good experience.

For me personally, I've had more negative, reoccurring experiences at multiple locations with EB Games that I simply don't shop there. For me, I've experienced:

• Being lied to about a product's availability
    • Watching EB staff lie to clueless parents to up-sell them on buying more expensive products
    • See a used copy of a game selling for more than the new copy!
    • EB staff pre-removing promotional items from copies of new games that they used and redeemed (which is theft)

So I'm glad to hear about a good experience there.

EchoGolfSierra
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion

Never really had issues myself about EB games (aside maybe arguing that Nintendo (of America) is not a japanese company, but an american division of Famicom) but did have disponibility issues on a few products before. Of course it's not always their fault (like the NES and SNES classics...) but sometimes they do not get enough copies of popular games.

I also dislike the fact that i can't order products they don't have in stock online (from their store or site). Other than that can't complain much.

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Other than some jackass employees I haven't had bad experiences with them.

EchoGolfSierra
  • ya I have had issues with individual employees but for the most part they are just kids who believe they are elite gamers. Easily ignored or bypassed, that is why I develop relationships with the Managers.

Jux and I have discussed EB over the years... and I personally believe that many of his issues are with the behavior of individuals, not company policy by and large. I am sure he agrees and disagrees equally with that statement :)

what I was most impressed with is this...the manager I know was off this week, So the service I received was just by a regular employee. That is why I am impressed!

@EchoGolfSierra said:

Jux and I have discussed EB over the years... and I personally believe that many of his issues are with the behavior of individuals, not company policy by and large. I am sure he agrees and disagrees equally with that statement :)

Yup. I personally believe most of the ones I went too, around the GTA, were just staffed by and managed by slimy people.

I've had all the above issues I mentioned at something like over half a dozen locations over a few years.

It's like any chain or franchise, if the people are good at the location, the store/service will be good. If not, well...

EchoGolfSierra
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion

My issue with them is generally more with their policies and practices with used game sales, especially when they try to pass off gutted games as new when no other self respecting retailer would sell that as anything more than used. I once went into an EB and the only "new" copy of a game they had left that I was after was gutted, I said I was after a factory sealed new copy, not a gutted one, and they offered to go into the back and plastic wrap it...

@Sintacs said:
    My issue with them is generally more with their policies and practices with used game sales, especially when they try to pass off gutted games as new when no other self respecting retailer would sell that as anything more than used. I once went into an EB and the only "new" copy of a game they had left that I was after was gutted, I said I was after a factory sealed new copy, not a gutted one, and they offered to go into the back and plastic wrap it...

Ha, one of the locations that would regularly lie to me offered to do that as well.

If it's not factory sealed any longer, it's not new. Sorry.

EchoGolfSierra
  • @Juxtapose said:

@Sintacs said:

Ha, one of the locations that would regularly lie to me offered to do that as well.

If it's not factory sealed any longer, it's not new. Sorry.

interesting view...does this expand to the rest of your life too? Odds are someone else's ass was in your lazyboy before you bought it... did your new car ever have 0 km on it?

I guess I miss the entire point new doesnt mean no one else has ever touched it...new means not used....NOT.... not opened.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

To me when it comes to things like games and blu rays, having the shrink wrap opened means its now used.

Especially EB games with the games they open, they handle the disk and put it in a paper sleeve until sold.

EchoGolfSierraJuxtapose
  • ya I am sure we all have our lines in the sand... for me as long as there are no saved games in spots....I feel it is new enough for me :) I likely wont finish it anyway so I will be glad someone did! lol

Streaker1978
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

For me... If you even look at it before I buy it.... its used!

EchoGolfSierra

@Law212 said:
    To me when it comes to things like games and blu rays, having the shrink wrap opened means its now used.

Especially EB games with the games they open, they handle the disk and put it in a paper sleeve until sold.

^Yup, this. Cars and chairs are different beasts. With EB Games as well, it's not uncommon to buy "new" games from them and have finger prints on the disc already.

For a disc, sorry, that's not new.

• so new means no one ever touched your CD? maybe it got touched in production...?? I am just being the devil's advocate here. I guess I am way more laid back about that stuff... it is just stuff

@Law212 said:

I've known quite a few people that have worked at EB Games and Gamestop and employees typically take those games home to play as well, so they're more used at times than just being opened and slipped into a sleeve. I got a gutted GBA game way back that was sold to me as "new" but had saves created on it already.

To me, being new is a bigger deal when it comes to electronics than anything else. I take very good care of my electronics and related stuff, I don't like buying used if I can avoid it as I've never bought anything (electronics-wise) used that's been up to my care standards. If I bought stuff used I probably wouldn't care as much about things being pristine, but I still wouldn't want to pay the sealed product price for something that was opened previously.

• Sintacs...I would agree that saved games on a cartridge means used....and I would have gone back for a refund.

how do you ensure you get new electronics....no tv is factory sealed anymore are they??
    they all seem opened and taped up

edited October 8
    @EchoGolfSierra

Whenever you open a factory sealed disc, there are no finger prints on the disc’s underside. Ever. That’s because it’s new.

I’ve also heard the same thing about EB Games employees taking games home that @Sintacs has.
  • I have heard the same...possibly from some of the same people ...lol
    Nor would I doubt it.....I guess I just question if that affects the newness status?
    Hear me out on this?
    define New for me....no now seriously go look it up.

New according to oxford concise is defined as "not existing before"
    or
    "existing before, but not experienced before."

so to say any video game is new according to the first definition is actually deceiving.
    Now the second definition applies more to things we experience...like gaming, however, the experience can be new regardless of the physical condition of an item.

For example I walk into Long & McQuade to buy an acoustic guitar the other day. I had no expectation that the guitar I bought was unused. It hung on a wall in a guitar store for months maybe...100s of people might have tried it out. But I still bought a new guitar and have the new experience of guitar ownership.

Or a car purchase I mentioned earlier...

The condition of an item/disk doesnt not make the experience new....it is actually playing it that is new isnt it?

I dont want to sound like I am being a dick here...and I am not so much trying to be critical as I am trying to give a different perspective of NEW

I dont think anyone would argue my truck or guitar are new. SO I find it interesting...

Juxtapose

@EchoGolfSierra I don't think you're being a dick at all, and I completely get what you're doing/saying.

To actually strengthen what you're saying, when you buy a disc-based game, you're simply buying a delivery mechanism: the disc contains the code that is the actual game. Well, technically you're buying a license to use the content on said disc, but I think you understand what I mean.

So so long as the disc can still be properly accessed, the game will play the same, "new" or "used" and the experience for the player will still be the same.

Where I, and I believe @Sintacs, are coming from is based on the cost and value the retailers place upon the disc-based copy they're selling.

So for a truck, if you go and buy one used, it's usually a few years old at least with other conditions attached (mileage, was a trade-in, etc.) or might have been a demo model. That's the standard between "new" and "used" that the auto-sales industry has defined and that we as consumers have accepted.

For disc-based products, the difference between "new" and "used" has been defined by the product being factory sealed and untouched outside the factory; EB Games is the only retailer of such a product that I know who opens factory sealed items and then sells them as "new," which is ironic considering how much of a driving force they are and have been for the "used" game market. I actually wondered a while back if part of the reason they do so is to further suggest to consumers to buy their "used" copies (in which they keep 100% of the profits).

i.e. You can buy our "new" game which we've touched with our grubby hands, or you can save $5.00 and buy our "used" copy which is in pretty much the same condition and has been touched by our grubby hands too!

But yeah, that's the difference; the defined standard of the physical product.

Hopefully I've helped explain better.

EchoGolfSierra
  • I hear that Jux, and I also think it is a little greasy that they push for trade ins so hard
    I am sure it hurts overall retail sales numbers on some releases.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I dare you to try to return a game that has been opened and claim its new... They wont take it. Ask them why.

Juxtapose

When it comes to "new" for something I'm buying, it's not quite the definition "new". What I'm after is factory sealed, and that tend to be labelled as "new" at places like EB and Gamestop, it's not my terminology and slight misuse of the word "new", it's theirs. Many retailers do the same, they're the ones slapping the "new" label on things just to lean towards "factory sealed" or "not previously owned".

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I have heard the same...possibly from some of the same people ...lol

Again, I haven't just heard it, I've had friends who've worked there that do it. One buddy didn't buy new releases since he could just borrow the gutted copies from the store and play them during their release popularity period, then he'd pick it up again a year or so later for $20 or whatever it's dropped to if he really wanted it.

Gutted games being taken home and used definitely happens, and they still sell those as "new". EB/Gamestop is the only retailer I have issue with though, I've never had bad customer service there outside of that one person who thought shrink wrapping a gutted game would be acceptable, I just don't like the way they run their stores. As a result, I do my best to avoid buying games from them, I'll buy from Amazon (often cheaper here anyway) or Video Games Plus (I usually get games from them a day to a week early), I'll only ever buy accessories or other merchandise from EB/Gamestop, and even then, those things can often be found cheaper elsewhere.

I did tend to buy games from them more when they were like the only place with pre-order bonuses, but that's not the case anymore. The only time I buy games from them anymore is if it's something I REALLY want to have on launch day, and none of the other retailers I buy from are selling the game, or will get it out to me by release day.

They're probably alright if you're buying used and don't really care about that sort of thing, but I don't buy current gen games used, and the games I would buy used (Genesis, Dreamcast, obscure OG Xbox titles) are never sold there.

Juxtapose

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I hear that Jux, and I also think it is a little greasy that they push for trade ins so hard
    I am sure it hurts overall retail sales numbers on some releases.

I believe it does, or at least did. Maybe three or four years ago, when I was still console gaming, I remember reading an article about how the used game market, and EB Games in particular, was hurting new game sales and how the store kept all the profit.

That was a strong part of the motivation behind things like DLC unlocked via a code in the box; like the Catwoman stuff in Batman: Arkham City, it was a way for publishers to encourage consumers to buy new.

I believe the reason Microsoft and Sony have really pushed their digital sales with this generation are partly due to similar reasons.

@Juxtapose said:
    That was a strong part of the motivation behind things like DLC unlocked via a code in the box; like the Catwoman stuff in Batman: Arkham City, it was a way for publishers to encourage consumers to buy new.

Not only that, but also so they're able to still make a profit off of people buying used who now need to pay for such codes.

@Juxtapose said:
    I believe the reason Microsoft and Sony have really pushed their digital sales with this generation are partly due to similar reasons.

I'd have loved to see MS stick with their "DRM" thing everybody lost their shit over when they announced the Xbone. It would have mean't no disc swapping, even if you owned all physical, you'd install then shelve your discs. They never really got to elaborate much on how used sales would work, people just immediately exploded. I feel like it would have been a similar system to the "online pass" sort of thing some games were doing for a while, except its a code to play the game in general, if you buy used, you'd have to buy a pass to play. It definitely would have hurt places like EB/Gamestop as they would have to reduce used prices by the cost of the passes to keep people interested in buying used, which means they would lose out on profits. There was also talk of being able to "resell" digital games, getting a portion of the games price back, something you still can't do. It would have been hugely beneficial to gamers on the whole, and the small minority that don't have steady access to internet really aren't any better off this gen as a ton of games require additional files (20GB+ in some cases) to be downloaded before you can play your games, even with disc copies. I feel like I'd still have some respect for the Xbox brand had they stuck with that, as I feel it would have been a pretty big influence on their competition as well, and we could be seeing a new era of freedom (despite the DRM) with digital games etc.

Juxtapose
  • ya about the only console I still buy hard copies for is my Switch...because those are so small and fit nicely in my case.... but even that console has way more digital content then cartridges.

Yeah, since I didn't jump on the current generation of non-handheld consoles at all and went back to PC gaming, all of my purchases have been digital via either Steam or the Blizzard Store.

It's simply been more practical.

I did buy mostly retail copies of games for my PlayStation Vita, which is part of the current generation of consoles (handheld), and mostly bought from Best Buy, though I've done a healthy amount of digital purchases via the PlayStation Store here as well.

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

EB games is now just a toy store with video games.

EchoGolfSierraJuxtaposeSintacs
  • My local EB store is now EBX store. Same games but with more game related merchandise, like shirts, hats, and other collectibles.

• @wikkiwild1 said:
    My local EB store is now EBX store. Same games but with more game related merchandise, like shirts, hats, and other collectibles.

same with me...but no name change here