This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

The big problem with AAA games today

Law212Law212 Centurion

THis is Angry Joes video about Battlefront 2. IT applies to many games that come out today including the new shadow of moror game....

I wont support these games anymore. I was going to buy this when they said that there wont be season passes and so on, but loot boxes? nope. I'm finished with this garbage.

VanishedNineSintacsStreaker1978

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

This is a great video on the subject too.

Sintacs
  • I miss the progression system you find in like Battlefield 3

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Yeah I miss those too, now they make you grind loot boxes . They make the grind annoying enough to tempt people to pay real money to speed things up. Its disgusting.

Juxtapose
  • TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited October 10
    I still think you're all overreacting about loot boxes. In the 10+ games I've played that have them I have only encountered one game where it was even close to being slow enough to be considered a problem.
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion

He said it copied Overwatch, then later said it copied a free to play game. I really hope he criticized Overwatch for it as that was a $40 game, $60 on consoles. Loot boxes have absolutely no place in paid games though. I'll tolerate em in F2P games, but not paid games.

Juxtapose
  • wow man you guys are very hardcore and angry.... or maybe hangry :)

I have a simple rule...if the game looks fun or it is something I want to support I buy it.

destiny 2 had loot boxes and it had a real Diablo feel to it... and personally, I think the three different Diablo games have all earned game of the year recognition...or should have.

Juxtapose
  • TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited October 10

Destiny 2 is a great example of people overreacting about loot boxes.

Everyone FREAKED out over the loot boxes in Destiny 2 when it came out before they even knew how it worked. Turns out you get a free loot box every level up after 20 (I have gotten over 15 of them free) and they don't even give anything good. Maybe a new ship look or a gun skin or some shaders. I have never used a single item i have gotten from my 15 boxes.

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

That's the problem people have. Some like to change their looks or gun skins, but games like destiniy give you one time use shaders and so you need a bunch of them. Look boxes are meant to be grindy enough to make most people want to just pay for them

They also try to make you feel like your not spending much money by having you buy their in game currency to get them...

They are trying to cram everything into loot boxes that used to be regular unlocks for leveling or doing certain things in game.... Forza 7 is making you have to get gameplay mods in loot boxes... want to race that track at night? try for it in a loot box.... want to play with rain? try your luck getting that gameplay feature in a loot box.

• That's the thing though...every shader I have wanted to use I have gotten enough of to shade all of my items. I have never had to spend a dollar on the game. I just get them from playing or from the free loot boxes I get from leveling.

Forza is an example of them doing it wrong and the games that do them wrong ARE a problem. I'm just saying just because a game has loot boxes doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. Wait and see how they work first.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

well most games do it in a way that makes paying real money more appealing. Battlefront 2 really is pay to win. To grind to get good enough star cards to keep up with people who will just buy the cards is insane. And if you don't pay to keep up people will be doing much more damage to you, taking much less damage and have all kinds of much better weapons on land and in the air than you.

• I dont have an issue with loot boxes as long as I feel I can complete the game without extra purchases. Whether I buy loot boxes all depends on how much time I spend with the game typically. I would only feel ripped off with regard to loot boxes if I couldnt get something that made me better without paying extra...a lot better without buying a loot box

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

As I've said before, you guys feel about Loot Boxes how I felt about DLC a decade ago.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I hate that a game isnt 60 dollars anymore. 60 bucks gets you the foundation for the game. Then you want the cool stuff, thats another 20 bucks. You want the characters in a fighting game you actually like? thats another 40 bucks. New game mode that used to be an unlockable back in the day? 10 more dollars. oh and if you want new costumes and colours buy the in game currency to spend on a loot box for a 1 in 10,000 chance youll get the one you want for the character you use.

Sorry but the majority of games today are shit. Yes that includes Destiny 2 and even games I play. Like gears of war 4. Gears 4 has you earn credits to unlock loot boxes which contain weapon skins and a smaller chance at a character skin. You also have the option to buy those packs and some of them have a guaranteed character when you purchase them with real money. though they usually always have 2 characters One people want and one no one gives a shit about, so even if you use real money chances are good youll get the character you didnt want.

If you want want to pay real money good luck having enough time to grind for enough credits to open more than 1 pack which will most likely contain just a couple skins and an emblem and no character.
    The thing that is most sad, is they are making a killing on these packs with people spending real money on them all the time.

gears 4 multiplayer is great and i love it, but this loot box shit has to go. gears 3 was far better with everything being unlocked by completing in game things like leveling up or a certain amount of kills and so on.

• I am trying to figure out when was the last time these folks got a raise?
    We arent growing gaming presently statistically speaking. So no new income stream there.
    Games have been pretty much the same price for 40 years.
    Games are way bigger and more complex than ever before.
    Actually PC game prices have gone down since the 286-386 days.

So I understand they need to generate income or they dry up and blow away.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Well again, games dont cost 60 dollars. They cost 60 for the base game. Do you wonder why they have the 79.99 version, then the 99.99 version then the 149.99 version? because games should go up in price . The 149.99 version is the complete version most times and even then there will be micro transaction still.

Game developers make a lot of money collaborating with advertizers. Tostinos, Mars bar, pepsi , doritos.... lots of money in those exchanges. If companies were struggling as much as they want you to think, they wouldnt keep shovveling out crappy AAA games all the time, there would be a lot more cheaper games comming from EA and other big companies. Trust me those guys arent driving home in honda civics.

And lots of games arent even worth the base price of 80 bucks (canada) but just list at that price because its the norm. Look at the new marvel vs capcom infinite.... 80 dollars for the base game which has less characters than ever, only 2 on 2 gameplay as opposed to 3 on 3 like the previous games. Less gameplay modes and doing the character season pass where each season you pay another 40 dollars to add 5 or six characters to the roster.

They even removed the character endings all together. They used to be crappy 2 page comic book style drawings with a quick ending. They removed that. There were 2 versions of the game. base game with no extra costumes or characters, or the 40 dollar more version with extra costumes and characters.

• I am not suggesting anyone is starving....but I have witnessed the collapse or pending collapse and then rescue of other companies... smaller companies.

Seems to me they all have a shorter leash...one great game with a poor release you may survive...2 poor releases...bye

when games are cost 100-200k to create, produce and distribute....there isnt a lot of wiggle room.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Well When they spend far too much on a game and far too much on advertising for that game, then create a mediocre product, they have no one to blame but themselves.

The problem they are going to create with this new scheme is that while they are still releaseing just as many games of varying (mostly crap) quality, they expect people to buy just as many and continuously pay for all these games that people play. I like having a variety of games on the go, but im not going to be buying loot boxes , season passes and idiot tax on all of them . who has that kind of money OR who is dumb enough to waste money on digital valueless content?

@Law212 said:
    OR who is dumb enough to waste money on digital valueless content?

Sadly, a lot of people.

• I buy digital valueless content (character skins, and sometimes even loot boxes) as a way to support the developer who made a game I enjoy.

In Overwatch I had played over 40 hours within a month of release, and had already gotten the game for a cheaper than normal price so I decided to buy some loot boxes to throw some money their way. I didn't care what was in those boxes, if I got something I wanted that was just a bonus because I already had enough currency just buy playing to get anything I wanted anyways.

And League of Legends. I have played over 1500 hours of that game. Every 100 hours or so I drop $25-50 to get a couple of character skins just to say "hey, thanks for continuing to support and grow the game I enjoy so much". Plus the skins look rad and add enjoyment to the game for me.
    EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

league is a free to play game.

Its not asking you 80 or 100 or 120 bucks to buy the base game , then spend more to get more content that is already in the game

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Also Tim, you're paying for something where you know what youre getting. Not credits to take ac hance on an RNG loot system. come on man stay on topic.

EchoGolfSierra
  • @TimothyWedel said:
    I buy digital valueless content (character skins, and sometimes even loot boxes) as a way to support the developer who made a game I enjoy.

In Overwatch I had played over 40 hours within a month of release, and had already gotten the game for a cheaper than normal price so I decided to buy some loot boxes to throw some money their way. I didn't care what was in those boxes, if I got something I wanted that was just a bonus because I already had enough currency just buy playing to get anything I wanted anyways.

And League of Legends. I have played over 1500 hours of that game. Every 100 hours or so I drop $25-50 to get a couple of character skins just to say "hey, thanks for continuing to support and grow the game I enjoy so much". Plus the skins look rad and add enjoyment to the game for me.

Tim that is exactly what I have done. I also buy games that I think are important regardless of if I ever play it, because I want to encourage those types of games or indie studios.

• @Law212 I see you completely ignored the Overwatch part.

And it's the same in league. If there is no particular skin I want I just buy a bunch of loot boxes and see what I get. It's a great way to force myself to play new champions I normally wouldn't. "Oh I just got a dope Warwick skin?Time to learn how to play him!"
  • @law212 and again. In the many games I have played with loot boxes only one of them has ever had stuff in loot boxes you couldn't unlock just play playing a normal amount.

I have enough premium currency in Destiny 2 right now to almost buy out every item available in the microtransaction shop and I didn't spend a cent or grind for anything
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Tim,. most games can let you grind for loot boxes , but they make it take enough ttime so that people think paying for it is a better option. I don't care if you think grinding for 2 hours for something is worth your time, for most its not.

Look at war for mordor or whatever it is. the game is 80 buck and day one has a 50 dollar expansion pass. AND has loot boxes.

games used to relelase a full game then months later release an expansion. Day one tells me they cut it out and are selling it separate because they wanted to release the game at 130 bucks. Id prefer they just raise prices on games

• Law212Law212 Centurion

And I know YOU don't mind them. You're used to it. remember when the stuff in those loot boxes were just part of the game that could be unlocked through progression?

Forza 7... changing race options like weather can only be done by finding those options in loot boxes.... What next you need to change the resolution but cant unless you get your resolution in a loot box and its a one time use otherwise your playing in 640 x 480?

For me, I'm fortunate I don't play many games that have too much in the way of microtransactions or loot boxes.

Heroes of the Storm is one, but it's free-to-play. I bought the General Sylvanas skin before Heroes of the Storm 2.0 came out to give a little financial support for the free game I've enjoyed. I also like and respect how all the items in the loot crates in the game are cosmetic and don't actually affect gameplay, so they really are optional.

With StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, the premium items are mainly skins, announcers, and Co-Op Commanders. The first two are cosmetic and so there's no need for me to buy them and I'm okay with that. The second is only if you want additional characters to play as in Co-Op (I think the base game has seven), and that's a mode I only play very occasionally with my father, so it's also not something that really affects me too much.

• After watching the video, I have to agree. What are the developers thinking?
    Only thing I can think of that I liked with regards as to loot or perks is in CoD BO3, AW, IW.
    You unlock upgrades and perks in the single player campaign game.
    Of course I like the single player game, as I am a more of a RPG player. I do like co-op campaign game also.
    I got tired of MP games after too much playing of CoD games.

• I read somewhere that a majority of people playing the COD series tend to spend less than 30 mins on the singleplayer campaign...before jumping over to multiplayer.
    Is it a wonder that games like the original Titanfall came out with no single player? then everyone bitched...lol
    With the new analytics and information gathering, the Pubs have...it down to a science

• wow are we actually having a discussion on the forum??? maybe there is hope for DoG :)

Juxtapose