This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

This past Thursday I formatted and clean installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which went very well. My system boots up faster than with the Creators Update, and I haven't experienced any bugs or issues yet.

The only odd thing is it created an EFI System Partition on my drive during the install; never seen that before. It's only 100MB though so no big deal.

Instead of formatting I did the update install for my father, and that was frustrating. It took the exact same amount of time as my clean install to just upgrade the OS! For me, I formatted and got the OS, then the MB drivers, then started re-installing software and such and it took me 3.5 hours. Just to upgrade my old man's system took the same amount of time. That's also because the download hung for about 45 minutes and I finally had to force the system to shut down and then resume the update.

My father's also experiencing a few bugs, mostly nuisance stuff, such as needing to sign in twice to get to his desktop (I've corrected with a workaround for now).

So while with the Creator's update upgrading was easier than formatting, it's been the opposite with the Fall Creators Update for me.

EchoGolfSierraTimothyWedel

Comments

• I've prepared a zip drive to do a fresh install on my PC. It runs ok, but use to be faster. It takes about 5-7 minutes to boot up. Even when I disable themes, and set it up for performance and not visually. I have only 1 apps that boot up at start and that is my Anti-virus.
    I'll have to get another drive to back up my stuff before I do it though.

• I updated to Creators edition. It took a while but wow. My PC boots up incredibly fast. About as fast as my laptop with a SSD drive. That alone makes it worth it for me.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I dont know if i updated yet or not? Thats cool that your system boots up faster now.

• I read somewhere while looking up the update that it may come out in the Spring now.
    It'll take most of the day to install. At least it did for me. I left my pc running all night.

• @Law212 said:
    I dont know if i updated yet or not? Thats cool that your system boots up faster now.

Go to Settings>System>About. Under Windows Specifications, what version?

• @wikkiwild1 said:
    I read somewhere while looking up the update that it may come out in the Spring now.
    It'll take most of the day to install. At least it did for me. I left my pc running all night.

It looks like they plan on doing two major updates a year now, with one coming out each Spring and Fall. In 2017, the Creator's Update came out in mid-April, and the Fall Creator's Update came out in mid-October.