This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

[ATTN] the future of DoG

RajioRajio Centurion

Hey all. So no surprises here. I don't have time to manage or even visit DoG anymore.

Option 1. I close the site's hosting and domain registration renewals (Now about $100/year) and everyone can move the conversations to Discord (Free)

Option 2. Someone else other than me can manage the site while its kept open (y'all can vote) as long as the annual bills are covered (by the donation box?)

Option 3. I dunno

Basically any option would have to involve me not paying for the site's bills out of pocket (the community site has always been community funded) but also have someone who can give the site some attention the reigns to run it (i'd want to retain ownership and top level decision making so that i can ensure that the whole "no jerks" thing is ALWAYS in place so long as DoG is. Even if as a Discord.)

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion

I can't come back here too often but before the annual bills come due I'll be checking this thread to figure out a solution. I can be reached via twitter or email in the mean time if you want to chat about it. Sorry I can't keep it running indefinitely but I just don't have the hours or energy for it anymore - and it doesnt even demand much of either!

I want you all to have some say in what happens as a result. Its not fair to you that I'm hardly ever able to check the site.

• I'm against any decision that involves this site disappearing. Just putting that out there.
    Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I'm not sure how much longer this site will last with just a handful of people still visiting and commenting in it.

Discord didn't help as that's even more dead.

• DoosDoos Centurion
    edited February 3

I've always been surprised at how few people that showed up here stuck around. Are message boards dying in general? I'd have to imagine they are but at the same time I have no idea what's replaced them. This discord dealy? What is that anyway? A chatroom?

Anyway.. $100 a year to keep this place around is nothing... if that's all it takes. It's not like it requires maintenance and any attempts at growth have failed amazingly... so if people still wanna hang out.. raise your hand I guess.

Yo raises hand

• My hand is raised

I'll straight pay the $100 myself if needed
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I'd be more than happy to help fund and keep this site going , as I visit it every day hoping to see people post.

I just hope others still show up as well.

There is so much that can be discussed and it seems like we had a good thing going after a certain point.

I'm personally not ready to let DoG die .

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

My hand is also raised. I'm still good to do the moderator things too (not that there's much of that these days), but I have no technical knowledge for back end stuff.

• I agree with Law. There is a lot to be discussed but we all seem to try and fit our posts into existing threads instead of trying to create newer, more fitting ones that could help push discussion.

I have been getting into the groove of my work schedule and will be posting a lot more often soon.
  • I dont have the problem taking over covering all costs. I dont even care about the crowd funding aspect. I would suggest Raj keeps that up and the funds can be held by him and used to upgrade software or anything like that down the road.

You can keep full ownership and ultimate control. Leave everything else as is. I think we have 2 mods still.. Doos and Jux? That should be plenty.

I think there is value here and I read everything most days even when I don't comment.
    I think there is a few of us like that.
    So if you just need a credit card number Raj, send me a tweet.

• EchoGolfSierraEchoGolfSierra Centurion
    edited February 5

I think gaming forums now all have transitioned to Facebook groups

• DoosDoos Centurion

There we have it.. x years funded.

So Raj, whatcha been up to, guy? Got any kids yet?

• RajioRajio Centurion

Alright gang, thanks for understanding. obv i'd love to hang around here more if i could and would also like to see the site continue.

i've already got us on a cheaper hosting plan and will see what i can do to reduce costs further.

I'm also going to turn over general backend admin duties to person A, and front end community/moderation duties to person B to have as their respective domains. I'll mention who once i re-confirm with them that they're into this. shouldn't be drastically different than it is now.

And of course any issues that need addressing which you find those two aren't covering (or you dont want to bring to them), I can be reached on twitter and email still of course!

Thanks again - I feel this is the responsible way to proceed.

And yes, message boards in general are dying. they were already dying when we opened DoG actually. Many people prefer facebook, reddit, discord, etc now. the only forums that really work nowadays are 'official' company forums for support and stuff like that. even those see less traffic than similar subreddits, facebook pages, etc etc. Its just a less popular format, relegated to us geezers. ;)

As for me; I'm crazy busy with work. Launch year for the game i'm working on so its already insane for me. I'm sick as a very sick dog which also doesn't help. Work is good despite being busy, Health isnt great but people deal with worse, and aside from that I'm just tired of the cold - no major life changes to report. Still getting routinely suspended from Overwatch for playing symmetra (and maintaining a high rank all the same). Hope you are all doing well. I'm sorry i've been out of touch but moving to Ubi and everything that came with it makes it increasingly tough to maintain a presence here. I miss you guys.

I'll try to sort out the details and report back here when I can.

• RajioRajio Centurion

Alright I've confirmed with them, so I can let you all know;

Front of house (moderation, community management, site growth, social nitty gritty etc) will be lead by @Juxtapose

Back of house (server admin, managing/maintaining software, technical nitty gritty, etc) will be lead by @Law212

I'll be available for any concerns anybody wants to take over their heads. Hopefully you all know how to reach me.

There should be no major changes. the two core mandates of the site include;

• Ad-free experience for anybody signed in
    • one core rule for members is; No jerks
    • How things are run are open for discussion (but not always decided by democracy)
    • the site remains community funded from annual donations (and not for profit)

When I can, I'll begin the process of giving our front and back of house officers whatever credentials and access they need to manage their respective domains.

Regarding that last point about funding, I'm also going to see if i can find a cheaper hosting solution for DoG. If anybody has any recommendations for inexpensive but reliable web hosting, now would be a good time to suggest. Domain is only like $20/year, hosting is the bulk of our expenses.

Juxtapose
  • OzziOzzi Centurion

Hey all! If you guys need any assistance let me know. I can usually find some time. I've been lurking quite a bit recently, but i'm open to share some ideas to get the site promoted up. Work has a lot of like minded people that i think would be a great fit, after all one of our rules at work is "Don't be an asshole". In terms of sustaining the site financially i have no issues with paying for stuff, (web hosting, coders to do stuff to the site, you name it) :)

Juxtapose