This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Any Archers out there?

I use to shoot regularly, owed 2-3 bows. But not in 30 years. I have got the itch back and wanting to ease back into the target shooting scene.

Anyone know what the sport is like now?

Comments

• I do not, but archery is something I've always wanted to try.

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I use to shoot regularly, owed 2-3 bows. But not in 30 years. I have got the itch back and wanting to ease back into the target shooting scene.

When I saw Rambo blow up a Korean with an explosive arrow I always wanted to try it. Not blowing someone up.... but shooting bows.

EchoGolfSierra
  • I will keep you both informed of my transition back in the hobby

• @Law212 said:

@EchoGolfSierra said:

When I saw Rambo blow up a Korean with an explosive arrow I always wanted to try it. Not blowing someone up.... but shooting bows.

I thought the victim was Vietnamese... lol

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Oh youre right , he was in Vietnam....

• I wasnt sure......it was a while ago. I actually owned a "RamBo". A replica of the one used in the movie....I got it used at a swap meet. But all that stuff got sold when I enlisted in the Military. So I am back to square one!

• Law212Law212 Centurion

You could have taken it with you and attack some al Qaida scum with it!

EchoGolfSierra
  • Hilariously enough my roommate and I are looking into trying some archery. I'll report back if we ever follow through with that plan
  • DoosDoos Centurion

My father-in-law came for a visit this weekend and he brought my kid a bow and arrow. It's kid sized but could easily kill a motherfucker. The wife and I are looking on wondering if he's old enough to handle something like that (5 years old) and he grabs an arrow and starts winging it around and almost taking his and his grandpa's eye out.

Like, damn, way to fuck it up right away kid.

Went out back and fired some off and he did alright. Needs practice and some education on safety, obviously but he did alright. Hope we don't kill a neighbours dog.

JuxtaposeEchoGolfSierra
  • UPDATE. ...
    Picking up a decent quality takedown recurve, quiver, arrows, tab, guard, target.
    Tax included out of the door $480. Oh and they threw in a couple of hours on the indoor range.
    This archery shop runs indoor leagues year around, kinda like bowling leagues but with Archery.
    Picked up a membership at a local club $120/calander year. That gives you 24/7/365 access to an outdoor range. As well as regular tournaments etc.
    My goal is to shoot 3-4 days a week and spend the summer getting my form back, then spend next winter tweaking my bow and arrows etc.

Who knows, might even participate in a local turkey shoot this year.

JuxtaposeDoos
  • this latest snow and cold blast has me pouting in doors.... but during that brief warm window we had...

This is from around 45 feet

Juxtapose
  • Law.... why is it whenever I drag and drop I get duplicate images in a post?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I don't know. That has been happening for a long time. The solution for now is to delete the last line of text after you drag and drop. Ill try to look into that tomorrow.

• ohhh crap sliding down a rabbit hole. Just bought "The traditional Boyers bible vol 1 thru 4"
    last month I made a jig to make my own bow strings. Out to look for good spruce 2x4 this week to start making arrows from Scratch. Plan to make my first Bow this winter....
    You gotta love revisiting old hobbies and new ones:)