This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Alien: Covenant

I watched Alien: Covenant for the first time last night, and I enjoyed it.

Scott was definitely trying to capture the feel and general tone of Alien, though in my opinion he partially succeeded. The art style, and attention to keep things similar to the '79 classic was very well done, as was the overall soundscape.

I found the film felt rushed though, and I didn't have time to get to really know, or to truly care about, the human crew minus David and Walter. That's a "modern" trend though with the franchise, and that's something I'd hoped they would have reversed, as the original films had a strong human element.

The plot was also quite predictable, but again, it was fun. I do like how it works with the rest of the franchise, in the sense that this was advertised as an Xenomorph origin movie, though it doesn't contradict what's come before, such as in Alien vs Predator and how Xenomorphs were on Earth during ancient times.

Comments

• I really enjoyed Covenant, mostly because Prometheus makes a lot more sense now.

I think Ridley Scott said that the franchise is going in a totally different direction from now on and will focus more on the AI than Xenomorphs. The way he phrased it made it seem like there will be no more Xenomorphs in the franchise at all from now on.

I don't know how I feel about that.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@TimothyWedel said:
    I really enjoyed Covenant, mostly because Prometheus makes a lot more sense now.

I think Ridley Scott said that the franchise is going in a totally different direction from now on and will focus more on the AI than Xenomorphs. The way he phrased it made it seem like there will be no more Xenomorphs in the franchise at all from now on.

I don't know how I feel about that.

I'm sure another director will do movies that have Xenomorphs, or more Alien versus Predator films.

I like how David's motivations are more fleshed out as well. That opening scene with him was great.