This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

This "Winter" Storm

I've lived in the Greater Toronto Area all my life, and never before do I recall seeing an April like this.

This weather is simply nuts!

I've decided to stay in ever since Friday night, and may not be leaving my place until tomorrow as I avoid driving in freezing rain whenever possible.

I also just started a two week vacation, and I wanted to work on both my car and lawn, but with the overall forecast, it looks like that's going to need to wait until the week of Apr. 23rd.

Comments

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion

getting same freezing rain but seen worse, it snowed the day i was born (mid May)...lol

Juxtapose
  • I seem to remember when Mel Lastman requested Military intervention for a winter storm in about 1998....seems to me that was mid march

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I seem to remember when Mel Lastman requested Military intervention for a winter storm in about 1998....seems to me that was mid march

If you mean the 97-98 Quebec winter storm the it'd be late december-early january of those years...but to fix all downed powerlines and other affected utilities lasted til late March-maybe early April in sime regions...it was a crazy one, 1/3 of Quebec's population in the dark...for me it lasted less than 5 minutes since i was on the same electric grid as one of our local hospitals... We can still see remnants of the ravaged fauna in some regions. Many trees remained bent toward the ground from the weight of all that ice...Mother Nature is a bipolar schizophraniac out on a rampage...lol

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@MSQGanner said:

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I seem to remember when Mel Lastman requested Military intervention for a winter storm in about 1998....seems to me that was mid march

If you mean the 97-98 Quebec winter storm the it'd be late december-early january of those years...but to fix all downed powerlines and other affected utilities lasted til late March-maybe early April in sime regions...it was a crazy one, 1/3 of Quebec's population in the dark...for me it lasted less than 5 minutes since i was on the same electric grid as one of our local hospitals... We can still see remnants of the ravaged fauna in some regions. Many trees remained bent toward the ground from the weight of all that ice...Mother Nature is a bipolar schizophraniac out on a rampage...lol

He was referring to Toronto's big storm in the '90's when the mayor of the time, Lastman, called in the military to assist. That decision would continue to be a teasing point towards him for the rest of his career.

I remember all of that happening, but I can't recall what year it was or what month, save that it wasn't April!

@Juxtapose said:

@MSQGanner said:

@EchoGolfSierra said:

He was referring to Toronto's big storm in the '90's when the mayor of the time, Lastman, called in the military to assist. That decision would continue to be a teasing point towards him for the rest of his career.

I remember all of that happening, but I can't recall what year it was or what month, save that it wasn't April!

Pretty sure it's the same storm, just in different part of the country...here is the kool part of Canada...lol

Ah, perhaps.

This storm however, and the weather overall, is crazy. I should be wearing my leather jacket and ball cap now, not my winter jacket and toque. I should be walking along the lake front, not staying in doors with the heating.

Blarg, mother nature needs to fire her seasonal manager.

• Actually... the quebec ice storm disaster occurred in Jan of 1998... the Toronto storm was sometime in early 1999. Two separate storms atleast a year apart. I was deployed for both.

The quebec one was particularly nasty because a storm a month or so earlier had already crippled many hydro towers, So the rest were very weak and the temp wooden ones couldnt deal with the ice from the Jan ice...

The Quebec one was a real disaster, for the Toronto one, I stayed in a nice hotel with my girl friend while we waited for the super storm that never arrived.

Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

This storm sucked. But luckily id didnt hamper my weekend that much. I was stuck inside though for saturday and sunday and some of monday.

edited April 17

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    Actually... the quebec ice storm disaster occurred in Jan of 1998... the Toronto storm was sometime in early 1999. Two separate storms atleast a year apart. I was deployed for both.

The quebec one was particularly nasty because a storm a month or so earlier had already crippled many hydro towers, So the rest were very weak and the temp wooden ones couldnt deal with the ice from the Jan ice...

The Quebec one was a real disaster, for the Toronto one, I stayed in a nice hotel with my girl friend while we waited for the super storm that never arrived.

Ah ok...i thought you originally said it was in 98...i blame Raj for the confusion...lol

Also, yeah, that Quebec storm was quite nasty, ice accumulated up to 8 inches which in turn crushed powerlines, towers, and trees...and some roofs that couldn't bear the weight of all that ice...

• I might have typed it when I was stoned.... Obviously Raj's fault :)

MSQGannerJuxtapose

@Law212 said:
    This storm sucked. But luckily id didnt hamper my weekend that much. I was stuck inside though for saturday and sunday and some of monday.

I was wondering how the weather affected your weekend. You stayed home from work yesterday?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Ya I was off wook Monday, even though by about the afternoon things were getting better. My roads werent plowed though.

Also Inna stayed because we were supposed to leave early so i could take her to work, but it was still bad in the morning so she stayed from work, she did some work over the phone though and but technically we had a 3 day weekend.

• OzziOzzi Centurion

It was a mess in Stratford as well, I was out and about during the storm, The restaurant shut down for the weekend due to the storm. We were full on Saturday night, then by 4pm everyone had cancelled but 2 people. Luckily we never lost hyrdo, my parents did however for about 6 hours during Sunday night. Monday was a mess in general the plows, and salters weren't out during the storm so the roads were an icy snowy mess. I ended up pulling a few cars out for some folks that got stuck.

@Law212 said:
    Ya I was off wook Monday, even though by about the afternoon things were getting better. My roads werent plowed though.

Also Inna stayed because we were supposed to leave early so i could take her to work, but it was still bad in the morning so she stayed from work, she did some work over the phone though and but technically we had a 3 day weekend.

Good stuff man, glad you had a good one!