This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Xbox One X

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

Hey all,

I have not kept up with the current generation of consoles, but I saw that Microsoft released the Xbox One X console late last year.

My question is, what exactly is the difference between it and the Xbox One S? From what I understand, it has better hardware and natively renders up to 4k, so it can support higher resolutions and improved texture quality.

Is there anything more, and basically if you don't have a 4K display, is there any point in getting it over the "S" model?

I'm not looking to pick up a console now, but thinking about in the future should my current Xbox 360 die. Looks like Microsoft really stepped up its backwards compatibility, as only five of my retail Xbox 360 games will not work on an Xbox One, and four of those have native Xbox One versions.

Over half of my original Xbox library will work on it as well, which is interesting.

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I think the X is more about 4K gameplay, but even then its not true 4K from what i have read.

Plus all the exclusives come to PC anyway. Why not try a PS4?

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    It definitely is true 4K in most cases. Like the PS4 Pro there are a mix of games that are true 4k and ones that use tricks to make it look 4k.

Apart from better resolution and framerates I'm not sure there is much else to it.
    @Law212 well he mentioned backwards compatibility and that's not a thing on PC. Otherwise I'd agree that a PC and PS4 is the way to play this generation.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Well true 4k with AA turned down or off, and lower res textures in certain areas , and 30 FPS?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@TimothyWedel said:
    @Law212 well he mentioned backwards compatibility and that's not a thing on PC. Otherwise I'd agree that a PC and PS4 is the way to play this generation.

I dont want to do a PC vs consoles thing... ugh I'm so tired of that.

As for consoles, I think the PS4 has more to offer.

THough I will ask how you think that backwards compatibility isn't a thing on PC?

• DoosDoos Centurion

If I remember correctly the big deal of the X upon release is that it was the cheapest way to get 4k gaming. Most of the third party stuff was upscaled and the first party was native?

I think at the time it was the cheapest 4k blu ray player, much like when the PS2 was cheapest DVD player and the PS3 was the cheapest blu ray etc.

It's the most powerful console, currently, and at the time of release building a PC that was comparable (because of the streamlining of the X) was costlier.

That's just the shit I read. I didn't buy one. No first party games from Xbox that interest me until Crackdown. I hope it doesn't blow.

edited May 9
    @Law212 yeah that debate is the worst. Wasn't trying to start any of that at all.

Backwards compatibility with the games he already owns is what I meant. He can literally just put most of his OG Xbox and 360 discs into a One and start playing. Most of them are even enhanced to 4k/60fps.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
  • DoosDoos Centurion

Yeah, I'll say that for sure, Xbox has really been making moves in the 'Everything of ours plays on our shit!' department.

A lot of my old arcade games from 360 just pop up now and again. Pretty slick.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    edited May 9

Hey all,

Yes, @TimothyWedel is correct, that's what I was thinking. Should I ever go console again the PlayStation 4 definitely looked like the better option to me (exclusives), but now that Microsoft seems to have really stepped up their game with backwards compatibility that changes things.

I'm not in the market for a console now as I mentioned, but should my Xbox 360 E die, it now appears an Xbox One will play almost all of my existing library, which would be great and more cost effective than re-buying much of that library on PC.

I was then curious as to the difference between the Xbox One X, which I didn't know about, compared to the Xbox One S. So if my Xbox 360 E dies tomorrow, and I want to buy an Xbox One to be able to play my existing games, it looks like the Xbox One S would be the better option for me. I have a Samsung 32" LCD TV from 2010 with a max resolution of 1080p (as I recall), so it looks like the only benefit an Xbox One X would give me would be potentially faster loading times and potentially better texture quality on some titles, which I'm suspecting would not be worth the few hundred dollar increase in cost.

Update: In terms of a "platform war," I find that silly these days. I like video games, they're fun. Play them on the platform that you prefer the most. For me these days, that's typically the PC, but that may not always be the case.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I love consoles. My main gaming is on PC but I love my Wii U , xbox 360 and PS3
    I dont feel I need a current gen system yet though but man god of war looks great.

Im just enjoying my PC too much right now when i do game. Old games , new games, and so on, and it also comes down to not wanting to spend money on another console at this point that i wont have much time to use. Maybe next gen