This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Xbox LIVE, NAT, Teredo, and Rogers

Hey all,

So yesterday I formatted my computer and did a clean install of Windows 10 April 2018 Update, which went very smoothly.

While checking settings and re-configuring things, I went to Settings>Gaming>Xbox Networking, and it's telling me that "Teredo is unable to qualify" and that my "server connectivity is blocked." Sometimes instead of mentioned Teredo it simply tells me my NAT is set to Moderate (and I believe it's always been Moderate with this set up).

I've never seen this on my PC before (and never heard of Teredo), but went to the troubleshooting pages linked here and here and tried all the steps, no dice.

Some of you may recall this post of mine back from April. Well I cleared my console's cache several times weeks ago and ultimately re-downloaded my Profile, but no dice either and the issue persists, and now I think it's related.

I went back to my Xbox 360 E yesterday and did a Network Test there, and now it's specifically telling me my NAT is set to Moderate and though I can connect to Xbox LIVE, I might have issues with Multiplayer games and voice communication. I've never seen this on my Xbox 360 E before. Again I believe my NAT was always Moderate with this service, but any Network Tests I'd do on my console would always come up aces.

It looks like it all started about two months ago, and I've been using the same internet service now for years. It's Rogers Ignite 60, and I have a Hitron CGN3 modem/wireless router. The firmware version is 4.2.4.11 on the modem.

Does anyone else here use Rogers, and if so, are you having any similar issues? The only thing I can think of is something either changed on my modem (perhaps a firmware update), or something changed on Xbox LIVE's end.

Poking around the web, it seems the most successful solution, though it's not 100%, is to set the CGN3 to bridge mode and use a third party router, something I presently do not have.

It's also suggested you enable UPNP, which it appears it already is on my modem, and that you forward Port 3074, and it looks like the Port is already forwarded in my modem; it's even called "Xbox."

Thankfully this issue only affects Xbox LIVE Multiplayer and voice chat, two things I currently do not use, so it's not critical for me to resolve this now, but if I ever want to again or if I end up picking up an Xbox One S down the road, this would be an issue.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I will look into this when i can , sorry not this weekend Juxt. But this is prime example of why fresh installs so often are not needed and can actually cause headaches.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@Law212 said:
    I will look into this when i can , sorry not this weekend Juxt. But this is prime example of why fresh installs so often are not needed and can actually cause headaches.

Thanks, though this has nothing to do with a fresh install. It's through doing the fresh install that I was able to diagnose the problem, which has been going on for a few months now.

To update on the Windows 10 specific issues, it's happening to my father and my best friend (who lives in Montreal) as well. We're all on different ISPs, so I strongly suspect this is an Xbox LIVE issue on their end of things.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I havent used xbox live in a long time, i guess ill boot it up tonight and see if i can get online

@Law212 said:
    I havent used xbox live in a long time, i guess ill boot it up tonight and see if i can get online

You can check from your PC. Go to Settings>Gaming>Xbox Networking and let me know what it says. It'll be interesting to see if you're "blocked" as well.

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion

not sure if this helps at all

In British Columbia on Shaw Network

@TimothyWedel said:
    not sure if this helps at all

In British Columbia on Shaw Network

Yup, same deal as me @TimothyWedel . So it's happening to you, me, my father, and my best bud in Montreal. Definitely not a localized issue then.

@Law212 said:
    Havent looked too much into it , but maybe this can help

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-party-chat

Thanks man. I actually found that page when I was troubleshooting and tried each and every step. No dice.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

NAT is to do with port forwarding. To change it from moderate you'd need to assign a static IP to your Xbox then go into your router and forward the ports Xbox Live uses to the static IP assigned to your Xbox. Generally what it means if it's moderate is that any games that you host locally will not allow others to join, as they would need to connect to your Xbox directly, but the firewall in your router is blocking them from doing so. I'm not gonna lie though, I very briefly skimmed this thread, so I'm not sure if you figured it out or not, of if this was even the issue.

Anyway, Xbox Live uses the following ports according to Google:
    Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Port 500 (UDP)
    Port 3544 (UDP)
    Port 4500 (UDP)

To access your router, you'll generally type 192.168.1.1 into a web browser, and it should take you to your router settings. If you've never gone into here before, the username/password should be admin/admin (strongly suggest changing that if you haven't).

@Sintacs Thanks for the details man, but the issue is actually mostly with Xbox LIVE via Windows 10; not the actual Xbox Consoles.

Seems many of us are having it.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited May 27

NAT issues would be the same on PC though, just gotta set a static IP and forward the ports. You need to make sure you make a note of everything you change when setting your static IP though as you won't have any net connection if you make a mistake, but that generally just means setting it back to automatic, or making sure you enter things correctly. You can learn how to setup a static IP here. It's really something you can't avoid forever as a PC gamer, you'll need to do some port forwarding at some point if you play a lot of multiplayer games, fortunately it's pretty easy to do. The site through the link I posted has some great guides for it, and generally has guides specific to the majority of router brands/models.

Juxtapose

@Sintacs said:
    NAT issues would be the same on PC though, just gotta set a static IP and forward the ports. You need to make sure you make a note of everything you change when setting your static IP though as you won't have any net connection if you make a mistake, but that generally just means setting it back to automatic, or making sure you enter things correctly. You can learn how to setup a static IP here. It's really something you can't avoid forever as a PC gamer, you'll need to do some port forwarding at some point if you play a lot of multiplayer games, fortunately it's pretty easy to do. The site through the link I posted has some great guides for it, and generally has guides specific to the majority of router brands/models.

Thanks man, I'll give this all a try in a while.

@Sintacs I gave this a whirl, and it seems to have worked. My NAT is still showing as Moderate (which should be okay) and my Server Connectivity is finally showing connected. This is all on Windows 10 via Settings>Gaming .

For my Xbox 360 E Console, and that "Xbox LIVE Content not Available" error I keep getting, Microsoft released a Dashboard Update for the first time in over two years this week, and my Network Tests on the console are coming through perfectly again (no mention or connectivity issues with NAT.

The error message is still popping up when I exit an App, game, or DVD I've been in for several minutes straight though, but now it's not 100% consistent. Since the error code keeps showing it's a Profile issue (despite me following all the steps to resolve it), I take it forwarding Port 3074 won't do much for the console.

Considering said port is being forwarded to my PC and it's new Static IP now, I'm assuming I couldn't forward it anyway?

I was at my parents' house yesterday and assigned a static IP to my father's system, as well as forwarding all the relevant ports, and nada. That solution doesn't seem to be working for him.