This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Looks bad. No thanks

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

Really? I'm psyched for it.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Im not. It looks on par with Apocalypse which was pretty bland. The newer xmen movies tend to have boring action and boring characters. Though with the exception of Magneto who is the best character in these movies.

Sophi turner is a terrible actor. The new cast has no charisma and camaraderie like the old cast did. Putting Mystique as a central character and a hero is shameful. She was always the femme fatalle who would show up seemingly with good intention then back stab and take off with personal gain.

First class was a good movie, and had so much potential, but the rest after with the younger cast was bad.

If they wanted to reboot X-men and I hope they do after this movie, they need to start with the teams from the 90s. Rogue, beast, cyclops, storm, iceman and jean. Then have Magneto and the brotherhood with Mystique , sabertooth, Pyro, Toad and Juggernaut.

Then throw in a couple wildcards with Wolverine and Omega Red.

They ruined the Apocalypse story, and i have no doubt this rushed Phoenix story will be ruined too.

• I'm pumped for this movie.

I personally like the First Class better than the older versions. Professor X was always my least favorite character because he was just too powerful and too calm all the time. I like all the younger, broken and scared versions of these characters.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

The new cast feel like Xmen cosplayers. They werent developed enough and they dont share the characteristics of the source material.

Rumour is that the Xmen will be rebooted after this movie. I hope so.

• I don't think so seeing as X-Force, New Mutants, Gambit and 143 are all planned to come out in the next few years still.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

None of those movies have anything to do with the current X-Men movies.
    I thought new mutants was a tv show?

• People thought they were all going to be spinoffs yet here we are with Dark Phoenix including the entire cast of First Class
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Yeah another movie with the cast, but 3 movies in and they are still too undeveloped to care about. I dont even remember cyclops being in apocalypse. And i think they will rush the relationship between jean and cyke to push this story. And no logan for the love triangle ?

Just because the phoenix story was a major thing that people loved in comics doesnt mean you can cram it into one movie and expect fans to love it.

Jean was a great character in general and you dont NEED to make the pheonix story. She can be in an xmen story and not turn evil

@Law212 While I agree that X-Men: Apocalypse was one of the lesser movies of the film franchise, it was still alright. Much of the new cast (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Night Crawler, and Storm) were introduced in X-Men: Apocalypse so we'll see how they turn out in a different film; they've only had one.

X-Men: First Class is great, and X-Men: Days of Future Past is absolutely fantastic and one of the best films the franchise has produced. If you think it's "bad," you're nuts!

For Mystique, you're the one who's always said about franchises in general that if you want things to be the same as the source material, you'll go read the source material, and that it's good changes are made and characters are completely altered to add variety. We saw the femme fatal Mystique, and the timeline was changed and the character didn't go down this path. Her being close to Charles and inherently not a bad person was first shown in X-Men: First Class, after all.

For Cyclops and Jean, they started showing their relationship in X-Men: Apocalypse and we don't know when this Dark Phoenix film is set. The younger cast films have always been a decade apart ('63, '73, and '83). If that progression continues and this is '93, then they're already going to be in a solid relationship. For the love triangle, keep in mind in the comics, Scott and Jean were together for, what, over a decade before Wolverine came along.

And how do you know Wolverine won't be in the film? He's at least cameoed in every single one, and we know for sure he's alive. He might indeed show up.

The Phoenix saga was told in X III: The Last Stand, and it certainly muddled it with the Cure storyline. That's also regarded as one of the franchise's lesser films, and hopefully this film will do the Phoenix saga right.

We'll see.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Iwont do it right thats for sure.

And yesDays of future past was my favourite, but it also included the old cast. Which are far better actors than the newones.

with the exception of fassbender.

I do make the argument that the movies and source material doesnt need to be the same, but changing the story and setting is a lot different than changing the characters themselves.

As for dark pheonix, its supposed to be 20 or 30 years later, yet they havent aged 20 or 30 years?

in 10 more years fassbender is supposed to look like ian mcellan?

Days of future past changed a lot from the source material but managed to make it great still.
    They already attempted the pheonix story and there are hundreds more they could try , why do this one again? With worse actors?

age of apocalypse was terrible . Apocalypse wasnt a large imposing figure like Thanos. He was a short guy with purple lipstick and the Xmens B team took him down.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Just watching the trailer again, i have little hope in this being any good.
    They have the low budget xmen for the most part. Beast joining magneto, but not quicksilver or mystique joining him instead? Utter garbage.

I kind of wish they turned to dust when thanos snapped his fingers.

I also prefer the original cast, but we have yet to see what the new cast can fully do since most of them were only in one film. And they might indeed have aged. One thing the prequel trilogy or whatever you want to call has done poorly is aging. Consider that X-Men: Apocalypse is 20 years after X-Men: First Class, and no one has aged a day. They even make a bit of fun of that in that film.

Nah, you've said that about characters as well. And femme fatal Mystique did indeed happen, but again, time line change and stuff differed. The Mystique character found a different motivating force that took her on a different direction. It's fine. If it's not your thing, then don't watch the film.

I imagine they're doing it again because they want to try and do it right this time since the first attempt did not do so, and it's a different director than on X-Men: Apocalypse so we'll see how he handles the actors.

Suicide Squad was a pretty terrible film, far worse than X-Men: Apocalypse yet you were all over that as being great. That just goes to show that no matter how good or bad something else, there's someone out there that will like it.

For Dark Phoenix we'll see.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Suicide squad was awesome.

But as far as xmen go. This looks bad. The writer who did Xmen last stand is back for this movie..... And do you not see similarities in this trailer and the last stand?

Anyway, ill watch it when it hits netflix in a few months.

No, it really wasn't. It was a solid c-flick at best.

Dark Phoenix does not look bad based on this trailer, though of course it could turn out that way. As I said, we'll see.

You'll need to wait more than a few months though, as the film doesn't hit theatres until 2019.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

It was pushed back.... Ah well.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I dont know about C-flick as it was more fun than black panther and that got a ton of praise for some reason. Also, 3D can make a bad movie and OK movie. and an OK movie a fun movie.

Black Panther is leaps and bounds better than Suicide Squad, despite being overrated.

3D is also vastly overrated.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I disagree on both statements. 3D is amazing when done decently, and black panther was boring and predictable with bad CGI.

Suicide squad had better characters even though it had crap ones too, but it wasnt afraid to kill characters off.

I also disagree on both statements. 3D is nothing more than an overpriced gimmick. Most films are not even shot in 3D and it's added after the fact. Very few films I've seen in 3D were actually worth seeing in 3D. Very few indeed. Like two or three out of dozens. At this point, I specifically go for non-3D showings simply so I don't waste my money.

Suicide Squads' characters were very poorly developed, which created no sense of attachment to them. They did indeed kill characters off, and no one actually cared because they're all bland and disposable.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Better developed than black panther characters. Which was just the lion king retold.
    And suicide squad was far more stylish and fun. Also the development of Harley and Deadshot were pretty good. We got Harleys relationship with Joker which was pretty abusive ,and we had deadshots backstory and we saw how vicious that woman in charge was and it was pretty dark.

Black panther had very bland characters witch bad fake accents. The best character which is what got me through the movie was Killmonger, though even his acting in this was worse than he is normally capable of.

Marvel movies like blakc panther, thor ragnarok and i am 90 percent sure Dark Pheonix will be the same, are made for super hero band wagon jumpers who dont read comics.

Most movies are converted after the fact, but some are shot native 3D and those look best but a good conversion looks great too. Like Force Awakens. Which had awesome 3D for a converted movie.

3D isnt over priced at usually 3 dollars more which is nothing when you compare what people pay for IMAX and Ultra AVX and so on in theatres.

We see in 3D not 2D so seein depth in a movie is far more immersive than anything in 2D.
    Its like saying Surround sound is a gimmick . 4K is a gimmick , Dolby ATMOS is a gimmick All those things including 3D add immersion that regular 2D with dual channel audio can give to a film.

Its also like saying watching a stream of a movie on a 10 inch ipad is just fine and there is no need for a large screen HD or UHD tv.

Its like saying listening to an MP3 is just as good as listening to a CD or record..

So when you say its just a gimmick, thats a fine opinion, its just a wrong opinion.

No @Law212, they are not better developed. It's okay to say you really enjoy the film and that you didn't like Black Panther, but to say Suicide Squad's characters are better developed is just silly and you're trying to state your opinion as fact.

They tried pushing 3D years ago, and while it's still around, it didn't take off anywhere near like they hoped. You're the only big 3D buff I know, and the only person I know who bought a 3D TV. I work in television production as you know, and do you know how much we use and do in the way of 3D? Nothing. Because no one cares. 4K, we had to jump on that almost instantly because there was immediate broadcaster demand for the resolution. No push for 3D at all because it's an actual failing gimmick.

I'm saying this from actual, first hand industry knowledge over your opinion of the technology.

For Dark Phoenix and Suicide Squad, instead of going back and forth, let's actually put this to an objective test:

When Dark Phoenix releases, if it's metacritic rating is higher than Suicide Squad's, you owe me a movie ticket for a movie of my choice; general 3D showing since you're such a fan of that. If, however, Dark Phoenix rates lower than Suicide Squad, I'll buy you a movie ticket, general 3D showing of a film of your choice.

You in?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Arent you doing the same saying that they arent better developed?

No 3D didnt take off, yet the 3D showings in theatres sell out and 3D blu rays sell out fast as well.

3D didnt take off because it wasnt a standard like 4K is now. Though there is demand for it as many movies still come out in 3D and James Cameron is pushing it for his Avatar Sequels.

4K is a standard in most new tvs. Just because 3D ddint take off doesnt mean its a gimmick. It actually adds to the immersion and entertainment of a film. 3D for regular broadcast would mean big expensive camera rigs which 4K doesnt require. Thats why its best suited for movies and not sports and tv in general. North America is trying to push 4K over 3D but across the ocean 3D is still strong. Some movies that dont get 3D showings here get them over seas.

Logan was shown in 3D over there. So was Fate of the furious. When i was there there were still commercials for 3D tv set ups.

I also do nt know too many people who bought a 3D tv, but it was harder to find and youd have to ask for it specifically while 4K is in most sets.

I watched Skyscraper and Ready Player One last night. Both in 3D. RPO was definitely made with 3D in mind. Watching it in 2D would be a huge disservice. Skyscraper also looked amazing in 3D with the great scenery and heights getting that sense of how high up the rock is and making the movie more suspenseful.

For a mere "gimmick" it really made both movies look better and feel better in the sense of depth.

Something 2D cant give a movie. If 3D goes glasses free and was standard in most tv sets, i think 3d movies would be in more demand on blu ray.

which is what james cameron is pushing for.

From what i have seen from people here, most watch movies on small screens with a max of 1080p but more than likely 720. So most dont care for picture quality , or sound quality . I dont think anyone here even cares for 4K.

As for Dark Pheonix, thats a bad bet because lots of people like these bad super hero movies like black panther and ragnarok. They arent comic fans they are bandwagon jumpers. and IF dark pheonix is good, i will be very shocked.The movie will do well just because its another marvel movie.

I think trying to do the pheonix story is a bad idea. Especially with this cast. There are so many stories to make a great xmen film from , yet they went back to this.

Age of Extinction would be better, they have quicksilver and scarlet witch , why didnt they do the "No more mutants" story? Ah well. this is the last xmen Sony film so its ok if it sucks.

No, because they actually aren't better developed. If you can't see that, well...

Right, so gimmick. Gotcha.

Dark Phoenix isn't an MCU film though, and don't forget X-Men films have been slammed in the past, some extremely so (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, for example), so it's most certainly not a guarantee that people will like it.

But if you don't want to take an objective bet and prefer to just keep going on with your biased opinion while trying to present it as fact, so be it.

Toodles!

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Right its not an MCU film which is why the quality is crap, but it is a marvel movie in the sence its marvel cahracters. I think once it becomes MCU it will get a lot better.

Also 3D over 2D any day as 2D is boring.
    Walk around all day with one eye open and one closed and see how enjoyable it is compared to both eyes open and being able to see depth....

Suicide squad was much better than black panther and the reason most people claim to love black panther is out of fear of being called racist. There I said it. BP sucked. WE all know it .
    I hope Dark pheonix will be awesome, but i dont think it will be from what I have seen.

All opinions are biased. They are based on personal experience. Same as yours.

Your first line of your last post is trying to push opinion as fact. So on top of everything youre also blatantly hypocritical. You tell someone they do something that isnt good and meanwhile you do it yourself . I dont know if you dont realize it or you do it and just dont care that you do it but you care when others do?

Anyway.

Ah yes, clearly non-MCU Marvel films suck. Perhaps you should return your copy of Logan then.

It's also good you admit all opinions are biased, since your opinion on 3D is just that, as well as your thoughts on, well, everything in this thread.

You come into this thread instantly negative and derogatory against an entire franchise simply based on one film (X-Men: Apocalypse), a film I recall you saying was alright when you were watching it several months back.

You have a history of being very vocal on your opinions, and get quite aggressive and borderline derogatory with them sometimes. I hope you realize this does you no credit. If you want to like movie a over movie b, that's great, but don't start insulting people when they disagree with you. This goes for any topic/thread, not just this one. I even offered an objective bet, just for fun, to settle things, which you declined, and yet still you insult and argue.

So please, @Law212, of all the things you're going to pretend to know, please don't pretend that you know my intentions, and please stop projecting your own hypocrisy on me.

Black Panther didn't suck, nor was it the second coming of Christ people made it out to be. It was a pretty fun, standard, superhero film. It's plot was generic but it flowed nicely, wasn't disjointed, and the points it built up, as well as the characters, had pay off. Suicide Squad was muddled, it's characters had points that went no where (Katana and her soul stealing sword that did squat is a single example), and the film just didn't have a sense of identity of itself. It couldn't tell what kind of movie it wanted to be. Was it as bad as critics said, I don't think it was, but it certainly was nothing to write home about and it is not a good film. That's my opinion, professional/critical opinion, and the opinion of everyone I know save yourself.

Thanks.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I havent been any more negative than you have been. Again another example of your hypocrisy.
    There is nothing wrong with criticizing something like a movie. You got defensive to the point of trying to bring in a completely different movie that I enjoy. You couldnt just stay on the topic, you wanted to bring in things i like that you didnt as if it was relevant.

Then you go off on nonsensical tangents. When did I say all non MCU movies suck? I didnt.

Yes , I will return logan because Apocalypse wasnt good and dark Pheonix looks bad . Never mind Deadpool 2 was great. Never mind Blade 1 and 2 are still better than alot of superhero films of today.

Oh yea , in my opinion because i wouldnt want to offend you .

You cant act like an ass and then call out others for doing it back.

The one projecting is you. I didnt call anyone names I strictly talked about the points. The person being a bit derogatory and condescending was you. You're getting offended and getting off point bringing in other things that dont have anything to do with THIS movie. Maybe with exception of 3D , which this movie will be shown in and which will at least make it better visually than watching it in 2D.

maybe you feel that someone criticizing this movie is a personal attack on you? If thats the case its not my issue to deal with. From what was shown, this movie looks terrible at this point. The big difference between the 2 of us is that I recognize its my opinion.

Stop being a dick and trying to pretend its not you. Maybe you're having a rough time and you take it out on dissenting movie opinions now? I dont know. Go fix yourself then talk to me. not before.

Im done until the next trailer.