This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Legalized recreational cannabis is here!! (in Canada that is..)

Hey Everyone!

Unless your living under a rock, and this is news to you, as of October 17th Cannabis is now legalized in Canada. Stigma is still there ish. Anyone here indulging, or thinking about trying it now that it's legalized? Did it as a teenager in a back alley?

I personally ordered off of the Ontario Cannabis Store. I snagged a high CBD strain. I haven't tried CBD personally, but i'm told it can help with aches, and pains without getting high. So i'll be testing that out when my bad foot acts up after work. I'm not going to lie, I am a little skeptical about it.

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

My girl wants to try CBD oil after hearing stuff about it... Im skeptical. Sounds like sellign snake oil.
    As for smoking. I have on occasion here and there since I was about 15 . Im not really interested in it, but i will probably still just do it when im with a friend who has it . Otherwise i dont want to start the habit.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

I've always avoided addictive substances (even coffee, I don't touch it!) save for alcohol back in the day, but my Crohn's Disease ended that.

For me, should I ever have bad flare ups and actual pain from the disease, the drops (whatever they're called) are supposed to help a lot, but I've not yet had the need to try them. If it comes to that I will, but it's nothing something that's any manner of pressing on my life to-do list.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited October 20

I actually got into it a bit earlier in the year (vaping cannabis oil). I've smoked a bit over the year (maybe like 1-2 times a year previously), and after getting more involved in it this year, I'm not sure if I'll use it much. The first cartridge I had for my vape was good, but super potent, but this was a good thing as a tiny little cartridge lasted me just over 6 months. The second one I ordered (different strain) was pretty weak, and really ramped up my paranoia and anxiety. This combined with some less than stellar experiences mixing it with LSD has pretty much put me off of cannabis for a while. More than likely, I'll just end up smoking the odd bit when friends offer it to me (generally only like 1-2 times per year) like I did previously in life. I can see the appeal in it, but it's not really for me. Now, legalized psychedelics (they'll very likely be legal for medical use within the next 5 years, recreationally, I'd wager within the next 10 or less), I'd be all over those.

@Juxtapose said:
    I've always avoided addictive substances (even coffee, I don't touch it!) save for alcohol back in the day, but my Crohn's Disease ended that.

I generally do the same, caffeine being my one exception. The past year was the most I've ever used cannabis, and after I don't see the need to continue, and I pretty much don't drink at all, maybe the occasional beer or two with family on holidays, but nothing outside of that really.

Juxtapose

@Sintacs Yeah, I used to drink far too much. I was pretty much perma-drunk from 2006 to 2008 on my company's dime. That's not even much of an exaggeration, they were fun times.

Then the health hit, and that ended all that. At least I got to have my fun though; can't complain in that sense.

@Juxtapose The most I ever really drank was in my early 20's, maybe like 20-23, I'd get pretty drunk at parties (was only ever blackout once), and have the odd drunk nights with some friends, but I can probably count all those parties and nights on my fingers. I suppose I also drank a lot with my ex, but I very rarely got drunk during that time, typically just a beer or two, but I did put on a lot of weight during that period, another reason I try to avoid alcohol now.

As far as cannabis goes, I definitely won't be smoking it in the typical sense, I'm not fond of the smell or taste of it. I'll probably avoid it for the most part, as I explained, but I have enjoyed edibles, and may have the odd one here and there. I also have a dab pen (purchased for a particular psychedelic, trying to not go too in depth about them as I could talk all day, and this isn't the topic for them) that I've been tempted to try some wax with (I assume it will likely be similar to the potent vape cart I had previously), but I'm not in any hurry to try that out.

The little oil vape pen I had was pretty nice though, especially for anybody who's considering enjoying some cannabis, but doesn't want to stink up whatever place they smoke in. Yes, the method of smoking with it is vaping, but it's not obnoxious like the vapes you typically see people with, its super discreet. You don't blow out giant obnoxious storm clouds, at most you'll get a fairly small one that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves no lingering smell. Another big plus to it, is that there's essentially no smell, unless you blow it directly into somebodies face when exhaling, nobody near you would have any idea that you just took a hit from your vape. They also have a decent variety in strains in the cartridges. The initial one I had was called something like "Green Crack God" and it gave a strong body and head high. With that one, I never needed to go beyond 4 hits in a night, and 4 hits were only if I wanted a pretty heavy night. The last one I had was "Pineapple" and it was dogshit IMO. I pretty much needed 4+ hits to get even close to where one hit of the last one I had got me, and this one seemed to ramp up the paranoia and anxiety even more than the last one, despite being less potent. A buddy of mine tried this one and liked it, but I really didn't like that one, plus I'm not a big cannabis guy in general, so I feel that entitles me to be picky with it. Despite not liking the last cart (subjective opinion really), I'd still recommend this little pen, it's super tiny (just under 10cm long with a cart attached, just under 1cm diameter), super discreet, and fairly affordable. I initially got it as a "kit" of sorts, so it came with the battery, a full cartridge, and a charger, this set me back $50. $50 kinda sounds like a lot, but the initial cart lasted me 6 months, and you're generally not gonna get that out of $50 of alcohol. Refill carts generally go from $40-50 depending on what you're after. They also have a line of more CBD focused (these ones are generally $50 from what I've seen) carts now, at varying levels of mixture with THC, from a 50/50, all the way to 100% CBD.

Anyway, for anybody curious, the brand is Flyte. I'm not sure if they'll still be around or not since I'm sure legalization shut down some manufacturers. I strongly recommend them though, as you don't have to worry about the smell, you don't have to do any prep or joint rolling, you just turn it on, take a hit (or a few), turn it off, and pop it in your pocket. I'd say this sort of thing is absolutely the answer (along with edibles, though they last far longer, so not always ideal) for anybody living in an apartment or any sort of conjoined housing. Here's a pic of the Flyte pen, and my dab pen (Yocan Evolve Plus) as well.

Juxtapose
    f.png 281.2K
    y.png 363.3K
  • DoosDoos Centurion

I bought a bunch of stuff from a few of the companies I invested in to see what's what.

Haven't had much of a chance to try any of it though as currently, only flower and a few 'sprays' are legal until some time in 2019. So, no vapes, edibles etc. etc.

I don't really smoke weed any more unless it's boardgame/dnd night and that's hopefully next week because I've got a pile o weed I'm looking to try.

These days I'm mostly set up to vape concentrates which will hopefully come online in Canada mid 2019.

But I did try HEXO's 1:1 CBD:THC peppermint spray and was pleasantly surprised at it's potency. 2 sprays in the mouth and 35 mins later I was feeling a mellow combination of head and body high.

4 sprays the next night and I would say it was almost exactly double the feeling of 2 sprays.

It was pretty nice.

I agree with the skepticism towards the claims of CBD but there is some data saying it works for some people but the real data is being produced right now.

Also, for the first time basically ever, at least in Canada, the CBD ratios claimed are being regulated, so, we're going to find out.

If it can do what people have been claiming, it's going to outstrip cannabis as an investment by miles and miles and motherfucking miles.

SintacsJuxtapose
  • DoosDoos Centurion

Hey Jux, just perusing through the news of the day and saw this:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannabis-oil-improves-crohn-s-disease-symptoms-study-1.4141890

Something to look out for, I know you'll approach it with a critical eye, which is for the best but man, what if? Right?

I really hope there is a bit of a 'wonder drug' in CBD. We're kind of in the hype phase right now but that's good. More money is going to be getting dumped into the research and results than ever before and we might find a solution to a lot of nagging health issues.

SintacsJuxtapose
    edited October 22

@Doos said:
    I really hope there is a bit of a 'wonder drug' in CBD. We're kind of in the hype phase right now but that's good. More money is going to be getting dumped into the research and results than ever before and we might find a solution to a lot of nagging health issues.

Even if there isn't, legalized cannabis opens the door for other potentially beneficial substances to follow. There's a lot of research going on with psychedelics currently, some of them are pretty far along as well. One study they're using a combination of therapy and MDMA to treat PTSD and it's been crazy successful. LSD and Psilocybin are being used to treat anxiety and depression with promising efficiency. They're also treating addictions using psychedelics with impressive results, they could be the key to fighting the "opioid epidemic". So even if CBD isn't as amazing as it's hyped up to be, legalization is at least a step in the right direction towards finding something that is. For anybody who's interested in any of the research being done on psychedelics, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies has been one of the larger entities doing studies, and posts their findings publicly.

• DoosDoos Centurion

I feel like we're at most, a decade away from psychedelics entering the medical market. I'm not sure I can say with any conviction that I think they'll enter the rec market in that time.

There's such a stigma attached to them that I'd be hard pressed to see a 'mother may I' Canadian government allow such a thing.

Not unless the scientific community rallies around it and the pharma industry follows.

It's such a steep hill to climb but you're correct, we just made it to step 1... and that's a step that was nearly 100 years in the making. Step 2 will come faster as long as there's no massive catalyst (Con government attempting to roll back legalization etc) to push us backwards.

Standing on the shoulders of giants.

• Maybe I'll try something edible but I'm just not really interested. Props to everyone who can finally enjoy their... Hobby? I'm not sure what other term to use but proud for being able to enjoy it legally now.
    edited October 24

@Smoreninja One piece of advise I'll give you (and anybody else here with any interest in trying edibles) with edibles though (assuming you've never had any before) start low and work up. If you do not have any tolerance, edibles will absolutely kick your ass, even with tolerance they can still be pretty intense, and being too high your first time being high isn't a pleasant experience (though you should be fine once it leaves your system, AFAIK there's never been any reported deaths due directly to cannabis consumption). I had some Firebars earlier this year and just one piece of those (around 23mg THC) kicked my ass, I basically didn't leave the couch once it kicked in, a buddy of mine with no tolerance had half a piece and had the same happen to him. I probably wouldn't recommend going over 10mg for a first timer, and absolutely give it plenty of time (1.5-2 hours) to kick in before even considering more. This is a fairly common thing newbies do, they expect it to come on faster than it does, and assume nothing is happening, so they consume more before they've even been hit by the initial dose. The effects will also last much longer with edibles, so plan accordingly. I don't know if "hobby" is the right word, but I pretty much look at it the same as drinking. I don't know what I'd really refer to drinking as either though, but people never seem to have issues talking about drinking as a social thing to do or whatever.

People tend to forget that alcohol is a drug. I honestly don't view any substance use as anything different from consuming alcohol. Alcohol, just like any other psychoactive substance, can be used responsibly and it can be abused. I do understand the stigma still attached to marijuana and other substances, and I think what it primarily comes down to is a lack of education and the spread of disinformation. What I don't understand is why there isn't more stigma around alcohol, the stuffs really not all that great for you. Cannabis is significantly less bad (I'd never say it's good for you either as I do not believe it is, despite potentially having health benefits, smoking anything is still inhaling smoke, which is never good) for you, and this can be further enhanced by vaping concentrates or consuming edibles. When out, if I'm presented the choice of alcohol or cannabis, I'll absolutely go with cannabis. I don't need to fill my gut with something to feel it's effects, if hit with any negative effects, I find them to be easier to manage than those from alcohol, and if I were to overconsume, I can take care of myself better when high vs drunk. It's also never given me a hangover (though cannabis hangovers do exist, they're not even remotely as bad as those from alcohol). I do think legalization is great, but I'm not gonna be rushing out to buy any, and doubt I'll have any more desire to purchase it than I have in the past before legalization. I am very interested to see where things go though, and have actually been paying more attention to the news in regards to the legalization (both pre and post) than I have with any news really (generally I don't pay much attention to the news).

Wow, I didn't really intend to spew fourth such a massive wall of text, guess I got carried away. Anyway, it's mostly just opinions on stuff, with the exception of the edible tips, definitely need to be careful with em if you don't want to be overwhelmed.

Juxtapose

@Doos said:
    Hey Jux, just perusing through the news of the day and saw this:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannabis-oil-improves-crohn-s-disease-symptoms-study-1.4141890

Something to look out for, I know you'll approach it with a critical eye, which is for the best but man, what if? Right?

Thanks@Doos. This was actually being discussed several months back in my Crohn's and Colitis support group. Some people had tried it and noticed a difference, others not at all.

A friend of mine was going to try some but I never found out how it went for her. I should ask when I see her next week.

For me right now the Crohn's health is excellent, but should it ever get bad, this is something I will be looking at in more seriousness.

Sintacs
  • DoosDoos Centurion

Luckily for you, Jux, if you're in a period of 'remission'? I don't know if that's the right term for it, you're hitting it at the perfect time.

Because the aforementioned data of who/why/when it works will be getting hammered out over the next few years.. so if it strikes back again there'll be so much more info.

So, perfect timing!

And anyone looking to try edibles, heed Sintacs warning.

Take 10mg or less and set a timer for 3 hrs. Do not take any more until the 3 hrs is up or just call it a night and try again another time.

You don't wanna ruin your evening and it absolutely can.

I'm pretty inexperienced with edibles but I've dabbled and had a chance to try some a few weeks back and I took 20mg of chocolate. It was fine but not as heavy as I was looking to go, so I took some more after 3hrs but by the time it all started working together the evening was pretty much done so I went to bed shortly after.

The hangover I had (no pain, just lethargy) was so massive I had to suck back 4 red bulls just to make it to the DnD table that night.

I never drink energy drinks but I was like a sloth wading through jello.

It was rough..

So I recommend if you're looking to ingest the weeds, make sure your day is open the next day because if you're like me you could have a real slug of a weekend that you didn't prepare for.

• OzziOzzi Centurion

I ordered on the 17th from TheOCS, still waiting very patiently to get my order in. I guess with the Canada Post strikes, and apparently the OCS was not very well prepared. Who knows when I'll be able to try out my Temple. (CBD).

@Doos Yeah, I'm not actually in remission. I was, but my MRI in June showed that was no longer the case but the inflammation I had was extremely minor. It's so minor I have not felt anything at all and feel like I am in remission!

My doc did some tweaks to my meds with the goal of getting me back in remission, but I won't know for sure until my next MRI, which will be Jun. 2019 unless something goes horribly wrong.

So technically I could be in remission right now and not know it, but officially I am not and have very, very minor inflamation.

Now having said all that, you're absolutely correct. More info will be available in the not too distant future now, and it'll be another possible option should things ever go real bad for me.

• DoosDoos Centurion

@Ozzi

My order came quickly but It seems I was the outlier. Lot's of complaints about first orders at like midnight still not having even got a shipping notice let alone a delivery.

Pretty lame, Milhouse. To be expected with government run... anything. They suck.

I really enjoyed my pre rolls I bought. Same company, possibly different type.. can't remember.

They were fucking baseball bats and the filters just made them a dream to smoke. I don't normally smoke any more but I did enjoy smoking those.

@Jux

Ah, I see. Well I hope it keeps going well for you in that regard. I was in a thread about IBS/Crohns the other day on reddit and people were being very vivid in their descriptions of the issues presented.

It does not sound fun.

I've got my fingers crossed and my money is invested so here's to medical breakthroughs!

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    @Doos you lucky guy. I decided to bite the bullet, and put another order in. Just ordered one thing this time. There's people saying they made second and third orders days after, and they've arrived, still waiting on day one orders. So maybe I'll get my order I placed 10 days after legalization before my day one.

I'm pretty excited to try the pre rolls for the novelty. My wife is going away with my kid for 4 or 5 days in November, so I'm gonna indulge then. So I'm not in a huge rush to get my order.
    Doos

@Doos Yeah man. I'm pretty open about the disease and what it can do as well, and when it flares, it's absolutely awful. Personally, the only kind of diseases I think are worse would be something like Alzeihmer's or any disease that robs you of your mind/identity.

In terms of an actual, proper flare, I'm close to two years flare free now. I've had inflammation crop up as I've mentioned, but it's all been minor. Mid-December will be two years without an actual full flare for me, and I'm confident I can make it.

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion

I for one am glad they finally legalized it. It creates provincial and federal revenue, jobs, and removes the judiciary paperwork, and frees courtrooms. On the other side, there's still major issues like officers ill equiped to detect DUI, prices are way too steep to really hurt organized crime sales, and there's not enough of both stores (in Quebec we got twelve and half are in Montreal) and supplies. Stores ran on empty here after one week. Also they should sell munchies...lol

Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Coming home from Greece I had a layover in Switzerland . They had Canabis infuzed iced tea in vending machines. Im not sure if i posted about it already? I tried one just for the hell of it. it was like iced tea flavoured bong water.