This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

What are you listenin to!?

Comments

• DoosDoos Centurion
    edited September 2017

Recently in a quest to find new music I had been listening to the Indie Metal network on Google Play Music while I was driving. Most of it was pretty hum drum but then I heard this song and I had to pull over to fiddle with my phone and give it a 'Like' or a 'Thumbs Up' or whatever the fuck it is that you do with GPM to get it to remember a song for later.

Yeah, I'm that desperate for new music that I'll pull my car off the the road in the hope that one song will lead to more! And it did! In Spades!

Valient Thorr is the name of the band.

Unfortunately these guys aren't popular enough or their label is tight fisted enough that I can't even link the song 'cause it's not on YouTube.

The singles that are available on YouTube don't fully encapsulate what I dig about the band. They're more the 'radio friendly' type stuff that kind of follow the basic 'verse, chorus, verse' style of music and while their music is fine it's really the song composition that caught my attention. The odd timing is almost prog-rock in nature.

They remind me a lot of when I first heard System of a Down and how I'd never heard the heavy fast riffs mixed with weird time signatures and out-there vocals.

Valient Thorr is nothing like System of a Down though, don't get me wrong.. but that feeling of wonder, of 'What're they going to do next?' that I got listening to SOAD reared it's head while listening to these guys.

Apparently they've been featured in a couple of video games like Guitar Hero and The Crew so some of you may have heard of 'em before but I was taken completely by surprise.

That song probably comes closest to showing what they do. The mix of riffs, the time changes, the almost jazz-like drumming, little solo's thrown in here and there. The song is just normal riff stuff until around the 1 minute mark and then they start really heating up.

Just fun and exciting music making.

Anyway.. I just wanted to write something about something and share the fact that I'd found some fun music. 'Cause it's been a long time since I had something to listen to that made me go 'Wheeeeee!'

Streaker1978
  • I've kinda engrossed myself in the Splatoon 2 soundtrack

• I have been super into this song lately

I love the sound of the song but I love the lyrics even more. They call out 95 % of the Christians I know (myself included) with so much truth.

Yeah you put on a faith facade,
    Think you're holy when you're not
    But simply calling out sins don't bring you closer to God

But there's no way that there's weight in the words that you preach,
    When you're claiming your faith and you contradict your speech.
    So I sit here and listen to your tongue and cheek,
    I know that when you sit and pray you're only praying for keeps.

You're shallow and empty and filled with regret.
    I think that chest must be heavy from that cross on your neck
    You only wear 'cause you're wary of what comes next after your death.

Juxtapose
  • TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited February 1

Mike Shinoda just released an EP about dealing with the passing of Chester. It's really, really good. Lots of emotion in the words he says.

It was a month since he passed, maybe less
    And no one knew what to do, we were such a mess
    We were texting, we were calling, we were checking in
    We said we ought to play a show in honor of our friend
    Well now that show's finally here, it's tonight
    Supposed to go to the bowl, get on stage, dim the lights
    With our friends and our family, in his name, celebrate
    There's no way that I'll be ready to get back up on that stage
    Can't remember if I've cancelled any show
    But I think about what I'm supposed to do and I don't know
    Cause I think about not doing it the same way as before
    And it makes me wanna puke my fucking guts out on the floor
    We rehearsed it for a month, I'm not worried about the set
    I get tackled by the grief at times that I would least expect
    I know what I should be doing when I'm singing but instead
    We'll be playing through a song and I'd remember in my head

• I've been listening to a collection of Blues music. From 1906 to 2006.

• DoosDoos Centurion

I had this riff stuck in my head for a solid week. I learned to play it, thought it would help. It didn't. It embedded it. That low E hammer on/pull off is the sludgiest thing I've ever heard.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I've been listening to a lot of "summer" sounding music that makes me feel like summer is here.

Here is one good one and the video makes me stay glued to it for some reason

• Law212Law212 Centurion

The Weeknd kills it every time

• DoosDoos Centurion

I've been listening to the University radio station in London the last few weeks for a change of pace. They play lots of weird new shit.

I heard this song the other night and thought it was pretty cool:

Then I went back to my roots and learned to play an old favorite of mine. Pretty proud that I finally figured out the intro:

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I had lots of friends who were all into propagandhi. It was never my thing. Every skater at my high school loved it though

• DoosDoos Centurion

That particular album was part of my personal soundtrack circa 1996. You give that hippity hop a listen? Song completely changes half way. I like it when they do that.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@Doos said:
    That particular album was part of my personal soundtrack circa 1996. You give that hippity hop a listen? Song completely changes half way. I like it when they do that.

I usually check out every song people post on here. I listened to the propagandhi one but forgot to check out the first video in your post. Ill try to get to it at work Monday.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Wow really good version of Zombie!

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited April 9
    Lords of The Nether by Lords of The Nether

I tried to embed the album here but couldn't get it to work.

A couple friends of mine from PG released an album last year. I'm not sure how good it is as I don't tend to listen to that type of music but I've heard from others that it's at least decent. They call the genre Symphonic Metal.

I've been enjoying it while playing some League games. It's decent background music.

Sintacs
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@Law212 said:
    Wow really good version of Zombie!

Yeah, I can't get it out of my head.

• DoosDoos Centurion

@Tim A lot of that is right up my alley. I'm not into synth stuff though but I'm a huge fan of the blast beats. If you ever want to go deeper into that shit, Strapping Young Lad is pretty much the be all and end all of it, with another Canadian, Devin Townsend at the helm.

It's a bit too much for me but you have to hand it to Devin, he's thoroughly entertaining. Motherfucker is straight up ca-razy.

@Jux I heard that song on the radio the other day. I was digging it. Not a huge fan of the original but it translates to that metal sound quite nicely.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited April 16

@Doos said:
    @Tim A lot of that is right up my alley. I'm not into synth stuff though but I'm a huge fan of the blast beats. If you ever want to go deeper into that shit, Strapping Young Lad is pretty much the be all and end all of it, with another Canadian, Devin Townsend at the helm.

It's a bit too much for me but you have to hand it to Devin, he's thoroughly entertaining. Motherfucker is straight up ca-razy.

I love Strapping Young Lad. A great album to check out for anybody interested is their self titled one. City is pretty sweet too, has one of my favorite songs of theirs:

• DoosDoos Centurion

@Sintacs Y'ever watch any Gene Hoglan drum videos? Guys a character. Hard to believe all those SYL/Dethklok etc. etc. blast beats come from those chubby legs.

That Avatar band reminds me a lot of old SOAD. Maybe it's just the drummers crazy eyes.

I'm still stuck on Mastodon as of late..

Guitar work in this track is just too much fun.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited April 17

@Doos I have not, just watched a few and the dudes pretty amazing. Honestly I never listened to much SOAD beyond the few popular songs they had when I was in highschool. Lately for me I've been getting back into a lot of Oingo Boingo, and have been listening to a lot of Avatar and Killing Joke. Speaking of Killing Joke, you should look into Jaz Coleman sometime, he's one of the weirdest people in music, but the shit he does/has been through is pretty interesting.

I know this one says it's Danny Elfman but there was some sort of legal or contractual issue or something at the time they did this album so they went with his name for the album. This song has always been a pretty important one for me though, it's got me through some pretty shitty times in life.

And some more Avatar

Aaand some Killing Joke

• I've been listening to a lot of older stuff lately. Breaking Bdnjamin, Simple Plan, Paramore, Anberlin. That type of stuff.
  • SmoreninjaSmoreninja Centurion
    I've been really digging the Persona 5 soundtrack.

• @Smoreninja I really love that soundtrack. So much smooth jazz