This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Random Stuff About Nothing

Comments

• you can land yourself a dell inspiron 15 for anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on what you want for add-ons.

It is a good student laptop. Will run a lot of games but isn't a gaming laptop.Add Office student ed and you are ready to roll. Stay off the freeware music/movie sharing sites and you can live a virus free life for the most part.

A mac will cost you $500 to 1000 more then that. If you are going to do Artsie stuff a mac is nice but not required.

Ipads are incredible but aren't yet a replacement for the laptop yet. Bluetooth keyboards make them more functional...but a lack of software ie MS office make them less then idea for bringing work home from the office.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    edited October 2011
    the macbook air isnt bad at all - its the best value mac has ever had. its a pretty solid machine for 1k. if she REALLY wants lots of portability and isnt doing anything too heavy (odds are shes not) then its a decent bet.
  • RajioRajio Centurion

Ipads are incredible but aren't yet a replacement for the laptop yet. Bluetooth keyboards make them more functional...but a lack of software ie MS office make them less then idea for bringing work home from the office.
    actually you can get some great office type software for the ipad. but if you shell out on an ipad and a bt keyboard, if you're writing papers and stuff just get a netbook or small laptop. ipad isn't a laptop replacement if you're doing any kind of 'creating'. its more of a consuming device. not horrible for taking notes though.
  • yes unfortunately the  dozens and dozens of excell 2010 spreadsheets I review daily in the office aren't supported on my ipad.  And the office like software isn`t compatible.

I would love to be able to email them to my ipad and open them up and manipulate a few macros, Add a few columns and email them back out from home.

Working in the computer business means I consume spreadsheets.....when the iPad lets me do that...then I will be thrilled.
  • the macbook air isnt bad at all - its the best value mac has ever had. its a pretty solid machine for 1k. if she REALLY wants lots of portability and isnt doing anything too heavy (odds are shes not) then its a decent bet.
    Students can probably get away with it.....In international business you can`t function without windows...and office
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    yeah the thing was not designed for spreadsheets, thats for sure.
  • yeah the thing was not designed for spreadsheets, thats for sure.
    or USB ports...
  • the macbook air isnt bad at all - its the best value mac has ever had. its a pretty solid machine for 1k. if she REALLY wants lots of portability and isnt doing anything too heavy (odds are shes not) then its a decent bet.
    The MacBook Air is a very slick looking machine and it's size is incredible, provided you have no issue with the lack of a DVD drive, Firewire port, and that you can't change out the battery.  Also on the pricey end as all Macs are.
  • I wonder who owns the very first (original?) copy of the game, when they're made.
  • what?
    Macbook air, thats the one without the USB ports, correct?
  • I wonder who owns the very first (original?) copy of the game, when they're made.

The CEO of my company has the very first Xbox in his office.
  • That's pretty nawzum. lolz
  • @Rajio - You sound like a salesman:

- If I'm using it for school, I'll be carrying it around a lot.
    - Battery life would preferably be 3-4 hours.. I've got 2.5 hours of classes one day and then about the same the other, however I've got a lot of down time that I'd like to be able to do work.
    - Screen size doesn't have to be all that big. I'll be doing a lot of my work (using word) on there but the screen size isn't a big issue for me.
    - For school, research and assignments (word), and a lot of internet browsing.
    - I'd say about $1500 tops, give or take.
    - I'd like to be able to use this one for a long time. It's going to be my upgrade from my current pos laptop.

@Juxtapose - Thanks for the insight. I've used a desktop Mac for a class in high school and it was really nice and great to use, however if there's not much difference between a mac and a windows laptop is money then I'd definitely go for the latter.

@EchoGolfSierra - Thanks for the information. I had no idea where the prices stood at all so seeing that it's easily 1k more for a Mac is a bit of a turn-off.

Macbook Air seems like it might be a good bet too.

I'll have to take a look at the stuff they have in-store, but all this info. has been helpful. Thanks everyone.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    the macbook air isnt bad at all - its the best value mac has ever had. its a pretty solid machine for 1k. if she REALLY wants lots of portability and isnt doing anything too heavy (odds are shes not) then its a decent bet.
    The MacBook Air is a very slick looking machine and it's size is incredible, provided you have no issue with the lack of a DVD drive, Firewire port, and that you can't change out the battery.  Also on the pricey end as all Macs are.
    not that much on the pricey end. unibody metal laptop with great battery life for under a grand. compare to say an ibm thinkpad. it will be super portable and durable as hell. who uses DVD drives anyway?
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    edited October 2011
    @Rajio - You sound like a salesman:

- If I'm using it for school, I'll be carrying it around a lot.
    - Battery life would preferably be 3-4 hours.. I've got 2.5 hours of classes one day and then about the same the other, however I've got a lot of down time that I'd like to be able to do work.
    - Screen size doesn't have to be all that big. I'll be doing a lot of my work (using word) on there but the screen size isn't a big issue for me.
    - For school, research and assignments (word), and a lot of internet browsing.
    - I'd say about $1500 tops, give or take.
    - I'd like to be able to use this one for a long time. It's going to be my upgrade from my current pos laptop.

"using it for school" can mean anything! i used a computer for school but i had to run 3d studio on it and be able to render things. my sister just needed to be able to type essays. so what sort of tasks? :P using it for school is incredibly vague. i dont know what you're studying!

anyhow from the sounds of it i would actually recommend the 11" macbook air. its a nice little machine for the price. a little on the pricey side compared to a windows computer but not that much when you consider how long it ought to last you (sold state hard drive, metal unibody blah blah, good battery). the biggest issue as jux said is the battery not being removable by the end user (you) but i dont expect that to be a big deal.

if not that then a high end windows netbook. 

• RajioRajio Centurion
    what?
    Macbook air, thats the one without the USB ports, correct?
    what have you been smoking? of course i has usb ports. 

see?
  • Getting your period: that moment of relief as you realize that you are not in imminent danger of a larva bursting out your vag in 9 months.
  • Picture post fail :)

Maybe it was USB ports that it ONLY had ...

Quite a big difference. No DVD Drive as Juxt Mentioned, maybe that was the issue.  I knew it was missing something that almost every other computer has
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    you don't see the USB port in that picture?

my netbook never had a dvd drive. my desktop (HTPC) doesnt have a dvd drive either. never missed it. they just take up space. my laptop has one. never even opened it except once by accident (which freaked me out!)

maybe you use it a lot but to me they seem like an anachronism, like floppy disc drives or zip discs.
  • Your picture says "This lmage is so interesting that it was hotlinked/stolen"

I guess thats true, they arent really necessary anymore, everything is available online.

On a side note, i still find Macs way too expensive ...
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    weird. works for me.
  • edited October 2011
    @Rajio - My bad.. :P

Basically for school, all i really need to do is access the internet/do a ton of web-browsing/research/use microsoft word. Pretty basic stuff.

In other news:

HOLY FAJITA, THREE DAYS GRACE LIVE TOMORROOOWWWWW!!!!!
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    @Rajio - My bad.. :P

Basically for school, all i really need to do is access the internet/do a ton of web-browsing/research/use microsoft word. Pretty basic stuff.

In other news:

HOLY FAJITA, THREE DAYS GRACE LIVE TOMORROOOWWWWW!!!!!
    then yeah i stand by my claim, get the $999 11" macbook air. it will last you through school, have a nice battery, be super portable (its very light and small) and be very durable to boot. if i was in your shoes thats what i'd get. 

YES if you got a $1k windows laptop you could have a more powerful machine, but it wouldn't last you as long AND be as portable. you'd have to compromise on one of those factors a little. 
  • My dad has a Macbook Air(last years model) my friend has this years model(both 13") they are awesome machines. Personally I'd stick Windows onto it if I had one, but thats just me :P I love the laptop itself. So long as you don't need a DVD drive, its an amazing machine. You can buy a DVD drive separate so if you needed one, but only needed it occasionally, like at home or something, then thats do-able.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm off the to the USA on Friday, until the 24th. I'll occasionally visit the site if I'm bored, but probably won't be much.

I believe I posted about this when I first booked the trip. I'll be cruisin the USA :) I'm flying down to St. Louis, staying there for nearly a week, until Thursday. Staying at my friends apartment.(I'm actually going to be helping him move in. He moves in on Saturday, the day after I get there. So I'm helping with the move. He's pretty excited, he is finally moving out of his parents house, and into his own place) Then we are hitting the road at 9pm on Thursday evening and driving non-stop to Las Vegas.(Aprox. just over 2,500km) Staying there for 1 night I believe(might be 2, I forget) catching the IndyCar race on Sunday, then hitting the road and driving up to Rapid City, South Dakota.(Thats where his birth-mum lives, so he wants to visit her) Staying there for a few days or something like that, then heading back to St. Louis before coming home on the 24th. Total driving is going to be over 6,000km. Its going to be crazy,(the initial non-stop drive to Las Vegas) and crazy fun :D (the rest of the road trip)
    not that much on the pricey end. unibody metal laptop with great battery life for under a grand. compare to say an ibm thinkpad. it will be super portable and durable as hell. who uses DVD drives anyway?
    Heh.  $999.00 is close enough to a grand to not be worth mentioning the under part.
  • I personally wouldn't consider anything to be 'Under an X' unless after the taxes are added in, its under that number.
  • Was driving this morning to work heading south on the Allen Expressway (in Toronto), and traffic was being diverted to one lane and forced to exit at Lawrence Ave.  The entire highway was closed which is pretty unusual.  There were easily over 50 cops, ems and firemen surrounding the area. 
    Then i saw it.  A women was standing on the bridge railing ready to jump!!!  I pulled over to watch.  Waited about 10 minutes, and decided to leave.  Havent seen anything on the news yet.