This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Diablo III

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    E-sports? it has a scene?
  • replying to Law in other thread:
    Typical big SC2 tourneys get upwards of 50k concurrent viewers via stream now. Plus whatever in-house people they have if it is a LAN Tournament.

This past IEM hit 20k people on CS1.6, which, considering how freaking old that game is, I'd say thats impressive.

Not great, but not bad
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I had no idea. I really thought that kind of thing wasnt done anymore. Why did I think that? PLain ignorance to it i guess. I knew it was huge years ago but thought it was pretty much non existant now.

Though there are still huge fighting game tourneys so why wouldnt there be counter strike or star craft still going on? guess there is.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I never got into star craft though. The only RTs i really like is the command and conquer series.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    so Diablo 3 just got announced for Xbox 360. Street date of Sept 3.
  • ^nice you think MS acted last minute after hearing PS3 was getting a port? In any case good move, I was getting this for PS3 but now 360.
  • @Anth no...more than likely it was always going tobe on 360, but Blizzard had an exclusive announce, in the same manner that 360 gets CoD maps. I will speculate, that even though it hasn't been announced yet...it will come out on Xbox One as well.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    AnThMaN wrote:
    ^nice you think MS acted last minute after hearing PS3 was getting a port? In any case good move, I was getting this for PS3 but now 360.
    @Anth no...more than likely it was always going tobe on 360, but Blizzard had an exclusive announce, in the same manner that 360 gets CoD maps. I will speculate, that even though it hasn't been announced yet...it will come out on Xbox One as well.

yeah you don't develop/port a game like this 'last minute'
  • SmoreninjaSmoreninja Centurion
    You just ctrl+c and ctrcl+v the code and give it to microsoft, right?
  • I would not want to play d3 with a controller
    it was horrible on ps1 back in the day
  • Curious how the game's storyline will vary from the PC's version. Beta sign up is closed it seems so, I'll wait for it's release then decide if I want it. I have the PC version of Diablo III.
  • wikkiwild1 wrote:
    Curious how the game's storyline will vary from the PC's version. Beta sign up is closed it seems so, I'll wait for it's release then decide if I want it. I have the PC version of Diablo III.

as far as I know its the same game minus the auction house

• Smoreninja wrote:
    You just ctrl+c and ctrcl+v the code and give it to microsoft, right?

This is logical given the technology used today and throw in 100's of sweatshop workers, surely from April to September (6 months) they can port it.
  • the1npc wrote:
    wikkiwild1 wrote:
    Curious how the game's storyline will vary from the PC's version. Beta sign up is closed it seems so, I'll wait for it's release then decide if I want it. I have the PC version of Diablo III.

as far as I know its the same game minus the auction house

I thought the auction house was a good idea until I used it. Sold nothing and to buy anything it was way over priced.
    Best is to keep going back to the treasure chests that keep spawning random treasure.
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    Rajio wrote:
    so Diablo 3 just got announced for Xbox 360. Street date of Sept 3.

Ha, maybe I'll pick it up, though I really need to finish Torchlight (PC) first.

I'm also curious how the controls will work. Hopefully there'll be a demo.
  • were people able to use a controller when they played Diablo 3 on the PC?

i'm interested to know how well it works when compared to a keyboard
  • i figured. i'll wait and see on this

i was thinking about playing Diablo 3 back when it first came out, but i don't have a PC that can run it
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    it always seemed like a controller game to me though. kb and mouse never seemed to fit it. (but thats just me)
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Havent tried it on a controller but I don't think Id want to. Works great with the keyboard and mouse.
  • Picked Diablo III up on launch day for Xbox 360 and have been enjoying the hell out of it (pun intended). Adding to what Rajio said, I always thought it was designed with consoles in mind, with the way they simplified the skill selections, limited you to four actions available at a time, etc.

I was skeptical how it would play with multiple players on one screen... well, four of us got on my couch the other night and played through to the Skeleton King, and it worked amazingly well. They have added a feature to quickly see whether items you pick up are better or worse than what you're using, and instantly equip or drop them... once everyone learns to cycle through recent pick-ups with that, it saves a lot of in-and-out-of-inventory-management (which would otherwise get very tedious with four players on one screen). And in a way, the fact that the shared screen forces you to stay near each other means folks aren't generally able to run off on their own and get in trouble — or ninja-loot. ;)

In all seriousness, I think I'm enjoying it more on my couch with a controller than I did playing on the PC with mouse and keyboard. Sure, the ability to target isn't as precise, but they have re-balanced the game in ways that make it play well anyway. The enemy you're targeting is highlighted red, and in same-screen co-op they use different coloured arrows to show you what everyone is targeting. Everything about the game seems re-balanced to accommodate the consoles... for example, there's clearly less loot dropping (because it's harder to manage inventory), but the loot that drops is overall more relevant and useful than the PC version, for sure.

They've also added a dodge move to get you out of sticky situations, though I mostly use it to break groups of barrels. And the best feature of Diablo III on console: No stupid Auction House, paid or otherwise! (A big reason the loot drops are better.)

Anyway, I dunno... this is just such an easy game to "veg out" to on the couch when your brain isn't up for more intense games. Running around, killing, looting, rinse, repeat. :) If you liked Diablo II, but didn't pick up Diablo III for PC, you definitely should for Xbox/PS.
  • MecandesMecandes n00b
    edited September 2013
    <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/fE2JpFcO3mQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/fE2JpFcO3mQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • Sounds like Diablo 3 for consoles have the Loot 2.0 system going in it. Which is basically how you describe, less but better. I'll stick to the PC for now.
  • This IGN playthrough answers all your Diablo III console questions. A few things I like to point out from this video:
    1) much better loot
    2) speedy leveling system
    3) quick drop buttons
    4) seemless co-op like borderlands
    5) they all agree most funnest co-op experience on the console.
    <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cwsJK-1sZ80?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cwsJK-1sZ80?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • I don't know how it was like on the PC but I definitely don't notice any kind of lack of loot like people on other sites have mentioned. I just got to act 2 and had to go back to town about 7 times now because all 80 inventory slots have been filled.
  • I don't know how it was like on the PC but I definitely don't notice any kind of lack of loot like people on other sites have mentioned. I just got to act 2 and had to go back to town about 7 times now because all 80 inventory slots have been filled.

From what I've read, item drops and loot have been vastly improved for the console versions, and this is going to be patched in to the PC/Mac version.
  • From what I understood, "improved" meant less but more relevant loot. If the console versions have less loot I can't even imagine what it is like on PC right now.
  • Still the same, as far as I could tell.
    Not sure when loot 2.0 is gonna be patched in.
  • I love how people were hating on Diablo 3, not that its on consoles, people are eating it up