This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Diablo III

Comments

• DoosDoos Centurion
    Weren't most hating the fact that it was totally borked on release?

Like every Battlefield launch or Sim City or anything else that EA touches?
  • No, most people were mad that it wasn't exactly like Diablo 2.

• They complained about pretty much everything.
  • Law212 wrote:
    I love how people were hating on Diablo 3, now that its on consoles, people are eating it up
    Now, to be fair, I think a large portion of the hate came from the need to always be connected to online servers (that could be full/down, preventing you from being able to play), and the auction house (both paid and regular) -- both of those grievances are missing in the console release... and consoles are also getting a more refined recent patch which has ironed out bugs and balance issues a lot more than early PC reviewers/players experienced, eh?
  • They complained about pretty much everything.
    Gamers? They do that?! ;)
  • ...of course, the other aspect that PC gamers hated was that it seemed like a console version of Diablo... and, well... :D
  • Mecandes wrote:
    Law212 wrote:
    I love how people were hating on Diablo 3, now that its on consoles, people are eating it up
    Now, to be fair, I think a large portion of the hate came from the need to always be connected to online servers (that could be full/down, preventing you from being able to play), and the auction house (both paid and regular) -- both of those grievances are missing in the console release... and consoles are also getting a more refined recent patch which has ironed out bugs and balance issues a lot more than early PC reviewers/players experienced, eh?

That isn't really the hate since those were grievances. I was mad about the constant connection as well, but their reasoning was decent.

The actual hate on the game is mostly from die hard diablo 2 fans who don't like the gameplay changes. Then the console gamers who thought it would never come to consoles and so its just a shit game anyway .
  • Mecandes wrote:
    ...of course, the other aspect that PC gamers hated was that it seemed like a console version of Diablo... and, well... :D

Lol there was that, how could I forget!
  • MecandesMecandes n00b
    edited September 2013
    Yes, Law212, you're absolutely correct. I think the PC users were getting something that is shitty from perspective of a PC user:

1. Designed for new generation of console gamers (not 1999 PC gamers),
    2. with monetization (affecting loot drops) baked in from the start,
    3. and always on-line to prevent piracy.

I agree, as someone who loved Diablo II a dozen years ago (and the 1996 Diablo before it, dating myself), I think the PC version of Diablo III was a huge let-down, too. But now, I'm a lazy couch console gamer who plays with my kids, and from that perspective, I'm very happy with the console version of Diablo III. :)
  • I couldn't stand the item generation of Diablo 3. I felt like nothing useful ever really dropped, though this was likely to force people to use the Auction House, and with the annonymous nature of it, I'm sure Blizz was just generating gear to sell on the RMA. I didn't get any of the satisfaction playing Diablo 3 that I got from 2 or even 1. Sure, I had a bit of fn playing it, but overall I really disliked it, and would suggest any one of many Diablo clones over it, as I feel most clones I've played in the past few years felt more like Diablo than Diablo 3.
  • I am loving Diablo 3 on console but I would still recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone over it. Especially since it can be had for $5 on Steam once in a while.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Oh.. I remember them hating it pre launch too.

It had colors and a waterfall and that was just too much for some!

Ha.. I'd forgotten about that.. That game was getting ripped up years before it actually came out.
  • There was a article on Polygon just yesterday saying they had no intentions of porting it anywhere else at the moment. :(
  • Torchlight 2 takes everything that Torchlight does and does it 10x better. So much content, so much awesome. If you liked the original you definitely should play the sequel as soon as you have the means.
  • I was thinking about getting Diablo 3, but then I realized GTA V comes out in less than two weeks, and that will absorb all my time.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Is it that soon? Well shit!
  • I was thinking about getting Diablo 3, but then I realized GTA V comes out in less than two weeks, and that will absorb all my time.

Say that again please?!

• @DjDATZ I was thinking about getting Diablo 3, but then I realized GTA V comes out in less than two weeks, and that will absorb all my time.
  • @DjDATZ I was thinking about getting Diablo 3, but then I realized GTA V comes out in less than two weeks, and that will absorb all my time.

gta v is going to kill any chances of me playing anything else for ages
  • GTA V will decrease my chances of getting laid
  • Started the demo with the Wizard and got to level 3 on hard without dying - alot more fun than my experience with the PC version.

Did another playthrough to level 4 with the Warrior and found it a hell of alot harder at first but much easier after I got new weapons/armour.

What I found was that I'm more inclined to searching for loot with this close-quarters-combat character over the long ranged wizard due to the fact that I will be utilizing most of the stuff I pick up as opposed to the wizard who doesn't use weapons. Or am I wrong? I could equip stuff with the wizard but cannot use anything (bow, axe, etc.)

So I'm sticking with the Warrior for my full-game playthrough once I pick up the game. Anyone selling their copy of Diablo III in the Toronto area?
  • @AnThMaN if the Wizard is anything like the Sorceress (Diablo 2) or Sorcerer (Diablo), you'll only be equipping weapons for stat boots really. I've found they tend to be less gear focused early on than other classes, but later in the game you'll really need to start focusing on it more to get the most out of your spells.
  • AnThMaN wrote:
    Started the demo with the Wizard and got to level 3 on hard without dying - alot more fun than my experience with the PC version.

Did another playthrough to level 4 with the Warrior and found it a hell of alot harder at first but much easier after I got new weapons/armour.

What I found was that I'm more inclined to searching for loot with this close-quarters-combat character over the long ranged wizard due to the fact that I will be utilizing most of the stuff I pick up as opposed to the wizard who doesn't use weapons. Or am I wrong? I could equip stuff with the wizard but cannot use anything (bow, axe, etc.)

So I'm sticking with the Warrior for my full-game playthrough once I pick up the game. Anyone selling their copy of Diablo III in the Toronto area?

By Warrior do you mean the Barbarian (or Baba, as he was known in Diablo II)?
  • Yes to both @Sintacs and @Juxtapose they wanted to make the game more mainstream I guess
  • Holy typos Batman, I meant to say "stat boosts" not "stat boots".

@Juxtapose I don't think I've heard the Barbarians called "Baba" much, most people I played with generally just called em "Barbs". I did like some of the names for the different tpye of Paladins though, like "Hammerdin". I miss my FoH Pally, buffed up conviction aura + fist of the heavens was pretty hilarious in PvP.
  • Sintacs wrote:
    Holy typos Batman, I meant to say "stat boosts" not "stat boots".

lol I'm guessing you also meant to say Anthman there.
  • Sintacs wrote:
    Holy typos Batman, I meant to say "stat boosts" not "stat boots".

@Juxtapose I don't think I've heard the Barbarians called "Baba" much, most people I played with generally just called em "Barbs". I did like some of the names for the different tpye of Paladins though, like "Hammerdin". I miss my FoH Pally, buffed up conviction aura + fist of the heavens was pretty hilarious in PvP.

Oh no, Baba was an extremely common name for him back in the day.

Basically the Barbarian in Diablo II was the newb class. Get Whirlwind = win against everything.

Hammeradin and FoH Paladin were terms to define builds, as the Paladin was the melee class that was actually a challenge to play as.

Sort of like the Necromancer after a few patches. He became known as the "Curse Bitch" because he was nerfed so hard.
  • Does anyone want to play co-op on the xbox 360 demo? It goes up to level 9 and all progress/loot carries over to the full game.