This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

The Concert Thread

edited October 2011 in General
Since the music thread is so popular, I figured I'd make a concerts thread to post about past and upcoming concerts, experiences at concerts, etc. etc.<div><br></div><div>Do you like concerts? Have you been to one before? Who have you seen live? Who would you like to see?</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>I'm a concert junkie. My dad was when he was younger too, so he's been taking me to concerts for the longest time. I absolutely love them, and I go to so many. I haven't been to one in a while and would like to get back into that groove.</div><div><br></div><div>My first concert was in June or July, 2005 when I was 11 years old. It was Green Day. I had so much fun. Billy Joe Armstrong was working the crowd with his "warmup exercises" and everybody repeated him. I was always really quiet but when I got to that concert I yelled and sang so much that I basically lost my voice.</div><div><br></div><div>Since then, I have been to numerous concerts. I remember that Good Charlotte was my second concert (30 Seconds To Mars opened for them, along with someone else I believe), then Simple Plan. After that, I couldn't tell you the order lol.</div><div><br></div><div>I wish I would have kept all my ticket stubs (would be quite the collection!) but unfortunately I've misplaced the majority of them. However, I do own at least one shirt from every single concert I've ever been to (that was paid for, that is).</div><div><br></div><div>I'll name off other concerts I've been to at a later time, but right now I'm wondering, have you ever been?</div>

Comments

• DoosDoos Centurion
    I haven't seen a show in years..

It's a shame, 'cause the JLC gets a lot of great bands and I haven't stepped inside the building yet.

I've been to some pretty fun concerts.

Pantera, Slayer and Static X
    Slipknot, Coal Chamber and Dope.
    Clutch and Corrosion of Conformity
    Metallica and Godsmack.

Those are the major ones.. with a lot of punk/indie stuff no one would ever have heard of.

I want to see Tool and Gwar.

Those are the only two bands on my list of 'must sees' that I've not seen.

Also I'd love to see Primus.
  • Very cool list. I remember there was a time when my friend and I loved Dope. We heard them on Guitar Hero III (?) and listened to some other songs of theirs and thought they were awesome.

I've seen Metallica and Godsmack as well. Godsmack was opening for someone and Metallica were the headliners. Both awesome concerts.

I actually worked during Tool when I used to work at the MTS Centre. I listened to the last bit of their show before I left work. They were really good too. I also worked during The Eagles at the Canad Inns Stadium. As an employee, I was able to get up to 4 tickets I think, for $11 so my dad took advantage of that lol. They were pretty good. I remember working there for another concert as well... I have a few different bands in mind but I can't remember which one it was.

Have not heard of Gwar.

I listened to a bunch of Primus a few years back. I thought they had some pretty cool songs, but if they came here I don't think I'd see them.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Have not heard of Gwar, eh?

Let's just say... you don't so much go for the music.. you go for the show:

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited October 2011
    I have been to a bunch of concerts and don't know if I can remember them all. Lets see:
    RED
    Skillet
    Thousand Foot Krutch
    Building 429
    The Letter Black
    Toby Mac
    Kiros
    Relient K
    Anberlin
    Jezreel
    Family Force 5
    A ton more I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have seen a TON of Christian bands that aren't on that list. My dad is a pastor and we used to organize a HUGE music festival at our Church with like 10 of the top Christian Worship bands (to be honest, most of them sucked but it was still a blast). My favorites are the ones listed above. Most of them are still Christian but they are Metal and Rock, not crappy worship bands.

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited October 2011
    Actual double post this time, weird.

• I used to venues when I was in Montreal, and this was great.
    Free drinks and shitty music, FTW!

It was pretty much just punks going nuts. It was cool.

FU OTTAWA!!!
  • I love live music.  I've been to tons of shows, but some of the more memorable ones were:

Ozzfest - Headliners were Black Sabbath (Original lineup), Slayer, Judas Preist, Dimmu Borgir and Black Label Society. 

Muse with Silversun Pickups - If you ever get a chance to see Muse, do so!

Tool (Lateralus tour and their latest one).  Messhugah opened for the first show and Dalek for the second.

Rammstein

Velvet Revolver

Also when Disturbed released their first album, I won tickets to their show and a BBQ with them beforehand.  When Godsmack came through after releasing their second album, I also won a chance to meet them backstage.

@ Doos I also saw Coal Chamber, Slipknot and Dope on that same tour.  It was pretty awesome.  I saw Slipknot a few years later at Ozzfest and they just weren't as good.  How was Static X?  Also, I would have killed to see Pantera.  Sadly, I'll never get a chance now.

@ xxDinoSaurus The Eagles for $11?!  Fuck that's awesome.

• I saw ..
    Rush Summer 2010
    Barenaked Ladies ... i dont remember when, it wasnt a real concert... it was for dads work

Both at the ACC.

I think thats it
  • I saw David Bowie in 91...best concert I have ever seen...he was amazing
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    @Lactos

Static X was pretty good.. when I saw them I believe the guitarist from Dope had joined them and he'd learned some cool new tricks! Swinging his guitar around him and doing windmills and the like.

Slayer also came out and jammed with Pantera, which was awesome, I believe it was one of their birthdays.

It's sad that they'll never be able to rock again.

@Vanished I'd love to see Bowie. He's a fucking alien.
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    shows ive been to in no particular order:

Into Eternity, Stratovarius
    Black Light Burns, Combichrist
    Holyhell, Rhapsody, Manowar
    White Mice, Otto Von Schirach, Skinny Puppy
    Johnny Hollow, Abney Park, Android Lust
    Leaves Eyes, Blind Guardian
    The Cure (got to this one late, missed most of the opening act, no idea who it was)
    Combichrist, KMFDM
    The Prodigy

ive also been to a few freebies, saw finger eleven, mudmen at the friendship festival waaay back, tokyo police club at the gears thing in toronto last month
    Gwar
    id fucking LOVE to see gwar, ive missed em a few times because i didnt have the $ to go when they were playing somewhere nearby :(
  • many shows lol
    less now that I'm in welland though (some good shows in st kitts though)

My first show was Dream theater / Zappa plays zappa at the molson amp it was july 2009
    from then I just kept hitting up shows.

as far as upcoming shows theres structures and counterparts at the l3 in nov (st kitts)
    and winds of plauge and chealsea grin at the opera house in toronto (awesome place)

recently I've seen protest the hero and blindwitness

@Doos GWARs in Toronto at the end of the month with every time I die!

to bad I'm broke lol
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Really? Hmmm.. Can I make it? Will anyone go? My wife is going to see Matt Good tonight..

I'm at work. Le boo!
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    I'm in welland
    me too, this place is such a shit-hole :P
  • I'm in welland
    me too, this place is such a shit-hole :P
    yep lol
    not the worst place though
  • i am in Port Colborne...it isn't much better lol
  • Geeze I feel like I'm listening to such mainstream music when I look at all the concerts you guys have been to, and can't recognize over half the names.

@YourEscape - I saw that RED was on tour, but I didn't check to see if they were coming here. After hearing a couple of their songs through this site, I'd like to see them.
    When I went to Youth Club or whatever with my cousin when I was younger, they had a Christian Rock concert that we went to. They were actually pretty good.

@Lactos292 - Awesome! I'd love to see Muse! They have some brilliant stuff.
    Yes, the Eagles tickets were a nice treat! I think that's the only time I ever got anything free/discounted in my year of working there though. Too bad!
    I'm so jealous you saw Disturbed. They came through here a few years ago and I wanted to go sooo badly but my dad never got tickets. THought he was going to but he didn't. I really want to see them.

@Sintacs - You saw Finger 11 for free? Awesome. I've seen those guys 2 or 3 times now, they're really good!

@the1npc - How was Dream Theatre? Must have been a hell of a show.
  • Some other concerts I've been to:

Finger Eleven (seen 2 or 3 times and we got a sneak peek of one of their new songs on their latest tour!)
    Evanescence (I believe Stone Sour opened for them. I knew one of their songs at the time and loved it, so it was real cool to see them. I was disappointed as well that the guitarist in Evanescence didn't sing most of his parts [it was either during the bridge where they sing back and forth, or during the chorus'], in 'Bring Me To Life').
    Three Days Grace (I've seen them 2 times I believe at Powerball, and 2 times I believe on tour, plus 1 more time for free at The Forks for the NHL kickoff party earlier this month).

Just bought tickets to see Theory of a Deadman with my dad for Christmas. I've seen them before at Powerball with him and then once again after that at the Burton Cummings Theatre (much smaller theatre.. where they're playing now and I'm surprised). I can't remember if it was them or Finger Eleven that Ten Second Epic played and same with Rev Theory (openers). I met members of each of the band. Rev Theory has some great music.

I've also seen:

Judas Priest
    Black Sabbath/Megadeth (played the same tour)
    Ozzy Osbourne/Rob Zombie (played the same tour)
    Was supposed to see AC/DC with my dad but I was flying home from Switzerland the night they were playing.. probably flew over them.
    Foo Fighters
    Iron Maiden (amazing show!)

I know there's more. I'll update later.
  • Dream Theater was great! Played over 2H set, blew my mind.

Did you see maiden last summer? Dream Theater opened for them was a great show, the moslon amp is badass

• Dream Theater was great! Played over 2H set, blew my mind.

Did you see maiden last summer? Dream Theater opened for them was a great show, the moslon amp is badass

Awesome!

It definitely wasn't last summer. It was their "Somewhere Back In Time" tour, and I'm almost positive it was '08. I couldn't tell you who opened for them.. definitely not Dream Theatre though, would have remembered that :p
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    Back in the day i`ve seen
    I`ve seen Barenaked Ladies
    Sum 41
    Simple Plan
    Our Lady Peace
    Bluerodeo
    Hedley
    Sloan
    K-OS
    Finger Eleven
    The Tragically Hip
    Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty)

Recent Years
    Breaking Benjamin

Supposed to see
    Rise Against  (was super pissed when i couldn't make it on 2 occasions)
    A Perfect Circle
    Flagging Molly
  • @Ozzi:

I think you mean Flogging Molly, lol. My friend has seen them twice, and she showed me their music. They're awesome. Maybe I'm biased because I'm Irish though.

I'm super jealous you've seen Breaking Benjamin.

Your list reminds me of some other concerts I've seen too:

Sum 41 came here recently (or they're coming), as well as Blink 182.. can't believe I missed both of those. Since I was 11 and first heard them I always wanted to see them.

I saw Our Lady Peace during Rock on the Range one year. I think he was on drugs while playing, and he sounded awful live. I only knew their song 'Vasoline' and the rest sounded like shit.

Have seen Hedley and Buckcherry probably more times than most other headliners I've seen in concert because they have opened for so many of the bands I have seen.

Rise Against I saw too, a number of years ago (they were okay) when they opened for Billy Talent. That was an awesome concert and I'd love to see them again. The only downside was that I was 12 or 13 and it was my first time on the floor.. I swore I'd never do it again lol. What an awful experience. At least I was second row back when it came time for them to play.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh I've also seen KISS, and John Mellencamp (I forget who else headlined that tour), as well as Roger Waters (there were some awesome effects on that show).
    The first two shows, I was on the floor and a for hte most part, centre and almost front row.

@Doos - That video was... insane lol. I would never want to be in that mosh pit.
  • I saw 2 concerts in my lifetime:

- Our Lady Peace

- Offspring

forgot the opening band names but yeah I want to see Skrillex next lol

• Oh I've also seen KISS, and John Mellencamp (I forget who else headlined that tour), as well as Roger Waters (there were some awesome effects on that show).
    The first two shows, I was on the floor and a for hte most part, centre and almost front row.

@Doos - That video was... insane lol. I would never want to be in that mosh pit.
     @GWAR

needs more circle pit
  • edited October 2011
    I saw Our Lady Peace during Rock on the Range one year. I think he was on drugs while playing, and he sounded awful live. I only knew their song 'Vasoline' and the rest sounded like shit.
    Was driving to work today and listening to the radio when 'Innocent' by Our Lady Peac came on, when I realized that I totally meant to write 'Stone Temple Pilots' in the above post. I have never seen Our Lady Peace. :l

@Anthman - Offspring? Cool. Those guys would be good to see in concert too.

@the1npc - I saw a huge space in the crowd where some guy was thrashing around. I'm surprised the whole crowd wasn't throwing each other around and punching everyone beside them.
  • gah I hate dicks who punch people at shows, been on the receiving end to much
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    @Dino lol floor would be an awful experience at the age of 12...... i love the floor! Might be heading to toronto tonight to be seeing a Folk Punk band with a friend.
  • Only really been to one concert... Not much of a concert person.

Did Armin van Buuren... and that was at a club and the entire event lasted the whole night.

Want to see Deadmau5 next weekend, but I don't know if I can swing it.
  • Want to see Deadmau5 next weekend, but I don't know if I can swing it.
    He's taking over the entire Rogers Centre like a BOSS. That's gonna be one hell of a club