This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Aspects of a Video Game

TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
edited October 2010 in General
I was just wondering, what aspects of a video game do you think are most important? The story? The gameplay? The characters?

Up until about six months ago, I never cared about anything in a video game, it just had to be fun. Recently I have been paying more attention to more aspects than just the gameplay and I am really starting to enjoy my video games more than I used to. To me now, the most important aspects of a video game are the story and the characters. I have played a few games recently that I didn't even like the gameplay in, but they are on my top list of games because of the story and characters.

This thread can also be used to talk about aspects of certain games that you like or dislike.

I didn't really think that Blacksite: Area 51 was a very fun game, but it had a really good story. I have played through it three times now and it is really a great game, especially when you get it for $5 new.

Comments

• I really disliked that characters in Blue Dragon and Enchanted Arms and I will admit for an RPG it had solid gameplay.
    Perhaps gamers just like story more and that is why games are shorter.
  • For me, gameplay is the most important because if it's not fun to play, then it's not a good game and I won't care for anything else.

Second would be story/characters.
  • edited October 2010
    *THE YES-YES*

---Multiplayer re playability + teamwork is a big plus for me. ---

TF2 is the best game i have found for this, which is why it has been my favourite FPS to date.

---I also like games where I have the option of improving on myself---

The Forza series and Trails HD hooked me for that, i would do the same track in a free run on Forza for a good hour, just trying to shave off a quarter of a second off my best time. It was fun, and excellent practice for the ever-unique online races

---A good online community is nice aswell---

Theres nothing worse than the assholes that consume Modern Warfare 2

---Graphics and effects, I find they matter to a certain extent---

A game that is visually and audibly appealing, i find are more satisfying than those lacking those appeals. One thing i loved about World At War vs MW2 and CoD4 were the Gibs, it was funny, it added a cool element to the game. You dont really notice it until its gone. Im glad it's back for Black Ops.

*THE NO-NO*

--- Hurry up already ---

I hate walking 15 minutes just to get my head blown in (ie Farcry 2)
    Tedious games that take way too long to get going. Theres a fine line between build-up, and just straight nothing happening.

--- WTF YOU STUPID GAME ---

Retarded ass checkpoint save systems / you can only save at these kiosks. Theres nothing more annoying that being right in front of where you need to get to save, then die... and have to redo the last half hour of the game.

--- Gimmicks ---

Call of Duty has a lot of these, but i find its YESes outweigh it, somehow.

3D is one of them, i find.

--- Unfair Advantages (Like Catch-up) ---

Need for Speed games are ridiculous for this, you're ahead by a good 20 seconds, just to find out the people behind you simply drive faster... BAM, passed. It works both ways, but come on, how stupid is it really?

Another remote example is the Stopping Power perk in Call of Duty games (Except Black Ops, i heard somewhere they were removing it). Either you use it and kill in 2-4 shots, or don't and kill in 5-8. haha wow.

--- You want it? Pay for it ---

Loads and loads of overpriced DLC and content.
    At least Call of Duty only released 2 DLC packs. Mafia 2 already has 5 DLC packs, and its barely a month old, total price on Steam 21.95 USD

Hahahahaha, i just searched up a game on Steam called Railworks. A Railway simulator @Doos. It costs 49.99 for the game itself. And there are 61 DLC addons. Sixty fuckin One. At a grand total of 900.43 USD

edit* Holy shit, i wrote a lot. And pardon my french, i wont swear anymore mother.
  • @EyeOfTheHawks So story doesn't matter at all to you? Or do you just forget to mention it? I agree with everything on your list though, except sometimes I like a little hlep when I am playing online because I suck at most games. I totally 100% agree with the DLC thing, there is nothing worse than having to pay load of extra money ontop of what you already paid for the game.
  • Considering multiplayer is where the clear majority of my gaming time is spent, then story isn't a priority to me .
  • Story is a big priority for me I love to sink into games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and other awesome rpgs.

Atmosphere goes hand in hand with story for me for example, the STALKER serioes on pc and bioshock have awesome atmospheres

Multiplayer is awesome too but I prefer single player, that doesn't mean I love me some TF2 or halo every one and a while and like hawks said not being nickle and dimed is great!

Also kinda multiplayer ish but co-op is awesome cause its fun working as a team instead of killing everything in sight
  • The shame about co-op is that you seldomly have games where you need to depend on your teammate.
    While this idea can be a double edged sword because if you are paired up with someone you work well with than you can kick ass but if you are partnered up with someone that you can't work with than stuff isn't so grand.

I just gotta toss this out; this is a great topic idear

• I just gotta toss this out; this is a great topic idear
    Rajio and I were discussing some aspects of Metroid: Other M and thought that this would be a good topic to talk to everyone with.

I REALLY REALLY love co-op, the bad thing is I never have anyone to play any of the co-op games I own with. My older brother and friends only play MW2 online, nobody else plays other games like me.
  • Go pick up black ops when your buddies do, work as a team of 3 in TDM games and you'll kick ass
  • Go pick up black ops when your buddies do, work as a team of 3 in TDM games and you'll kick ass
    Well, I own MW2 and play it once in a while, so I could play that with them. I was talking about actual campaign co-op. I have never played a campaign on co-op since Champions Return to Arms on the PS2.
  • For me it is all about the gameplay in RPG's, FPS's and adventure/3rd person type games. I am more to the casual side of gaming, and it has to be fun to play, an escape from the daily chores of work and bills and yada yada yada.

Story is also very important. I loved Mass Effect 2, because it felt like I was a part of the story.

Well, I own MW2 and play it once in a while, so I could play that with them. I was talking about actual campaign co-op. I have never played a campaign on co-op since Champions Return to Arms on the PS2.
    Yeah couch co-op is dying there was loads of split screen games in the ps1 and ps2 days now the focus is on online and online is awesome don't get me wrong i just wish devs would include both more often like bungie!
  • Yeah, its a shame that it is dying before the younger people could try couch co-op. I prefer to have the people I am playing with beside me, even if it means smaller screens, Online co-op was fun the one time I actually got to try it, but it just isn't the same without them sitting with you.
  • Hell I just want it so I need to depend on my teammate.
    Lets leave that lone wolf stuff behind.
  • I come from a PC gaming background with free online multiplayer, free game add-ons, and more power and choice to the consumer (continue my string of rants here)...

But I find online multi to be more competative and couch multi to be a great social experience for casual play since you're just having a great time drinking beer with your buddies.
  • I come from a PC gaming background with free online multiplayer, free game add-ons, and more power and choice to the consumer (continue my string of rants here)...

But I find online multi to be more competative and couch multi to be a great social experience for casual play since you're just having a great time drinking beer with your buddies.
    Yeah, although when me and my friends play local reach it can get pretty heated
  • Ive liked local multiplayer, but i tend to get pissed off. Screen peeking has been my nemesis since 1999
  • Ive liked local multiplayer, but i tend to get pissed off. Screen peeking has been my nemesis since 1999
    screen looking is allowed but frowned upon in my books
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I think that gameplay is the most important factor. That's the reason why we play games. If a game has poor gameplay, nothing else really matters.
    I thought Enslaved was pretty poor in the gameplay area, but really enjoyed the story.

There's a few games like that... most recently, Comic Jumper. Didn't much care for the gameplay at all, but liked the world they'd created.
  • Same with Darkest of Days, anybody else try that ?
    Gameplay BLEW, but the concept was really cool
    screen looking is allowed but frowned upon in my books
    And that's why split screen isn't competative ;).
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    If everyone is a screen peeker (And I believe everyone is, when they're losing) then it's all fair.

I mean, it's four screens up on one... how could you not look when you're in trouble. It's survival instinct! :P

I believe split screen is much more competitive. You're right beside everyone, smack talking, busting heads. The guy you just killed is shaking you and yelling, spilling beer and all the while you're maneuvering to your next kill! Aww yeah!