This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Gaming Moments

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited October 2010 in General
Like everyone else here, I'm an avid gamer who's played a lot of titles across a lot of platforms and I've had a lot of interesting experiences. There's been a lot of great titles released over the years that have been very impressive, polishing or innovating what's come before and providing some really memorable gaming moments.

Yet there's one moment that's rather rare, and I know we've all had them at some point or another. I'm talking about that moment when your in the middle of a game, and you realize, truly realize you're doing something that you've never done before and that this experience has changed gaming forever in one way, shape, or form for you.

Again, these moments come rarely as most developers "play it safe," and true innovation doesn't happen all the time. Of course, as a regular Joe, I don't play every game that comes out so I end up missing stuff, passing on stuff, or even ignoring certain genres.

So, I'm going to share with you my last big gaming moment; when the experience I was having just wowed me and I knew I'd never game the same way again. That moment was back in 2004 when I was going through my first playthrough of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC).

I had just played through all of Taris and Dantooine and decided to go to Manan (I think that was the water world's name). As I left that first hanger where the Ebon Hawk was docked and just looked around, I truly realized how massive a game BioWare had crafted. The extent of the player choice and how it directly affected the exceptional story I was experiencing became plain to me, and compared to all of the first person shooters and real time strategy games that had been my staple for years, this action RPG opened my eyes to so many new gaming possibilities.

I was honestly humbled by what the developers had achieved, and while others had been experiencing RPGs for years, this was my first real foray into it all, and I knew I'd be judging any future game I played with new standards.

I had a similar, though much less monumental, experience when I first began playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360) in 2006.

So how about you? Have you ever had some really profound gaming moments that changed the way you looked at gaming?

Comments

• I'm sure I did but I can't name it.
    I think I had a moment where medivil tactics just clicked and made sense. Sadly that clicked moment did not stay.
  • The first time i played on an HD screen from home changed a lot. --
    I cant play properly anymore on a regular tube/CRT TV anymore...

Being introduced to the online world of videogaming at young age playing, still to date my favourite console shooter game ever, SOCOM for PS2. I was in Grade 5 at the time and when i started to communicate with the team and began to use teamwork, that changed how i enjoy to play shooter games. Its fun working as a team. With SOCOM 3 came my introduction to huge maps with vehicular combat, along with weapon customization. That changed another thing. Being able to customize your loadout and add different attachments to weapons contributes immensely to the playing experience, in my opinion.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I have a few of those 'Whoa...' moments.

One being along the same lines as Jux's.

When I first played Morrowind on the original Xbox, it was such a massive world at the time... It was overwhelming at first. If you saw a mountain off in the distance, you could go to it, and jump your way up it.

Before that it was the first time I played GTA3. There was absolutely nothing like that prior to it's release, and it changed everything. It was epic being able to just screw around in the game world for hours at a time. Great with a bunch of buddies just passing the controller around and drinking.

Other notable firsts are when a developer added something to a game that really didn't need to be there.

Playing 'The Darkness', I found that if you just barely squeezed the triggers on the controller, your character would tighten his finger on the trigger and you could see the hammer on his guns slowly start to pull back further and further until he'd fire the gun.

The inventory system in Dead Space was a small 'Whoa!' moment, how it would appear in front of you the way it did. I thought that was awesome.

I also really enjoyed 'Alone In The Dark' for what it brought to the inventory and combination aspects of the game. The game itself was a sloppy mess, but it had some really cool features.
  • Mass Effect 1 really wowed me in terms of presentation
    the first rpg that really blew my mind was Legend of Dragoon (ps1) it spanned 4 disks
    and to this day I am still at the final boss.

Kingdom Hearts really blew me away too the amazing music and all the Disney nostalgia combined with an awesome combat system was key.(blade)

I still need to find out how to get kingdom hearts 2 to play on my pc since my ps2 bit the dust

• When I first played Morrowind on the original Xbox, it was such a massive world at the time... It was overwhelming at first. If you saw a mountain off in the distance, you could go to it, and jump your way up it.
    Still the greatest game I've never finished. The only reason I didn't have the same experience with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was because I was too frustrated with some of the other design decisions (no Quest sorting in the Journal, etc.).
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Oh the Quest system in Morrowind was complete garbage. If you didn't play it daily, or took a break etc. you'd forget what you were doing and you'd have to root through your journal through all of these entries trying to figure out what it was that you were up to.

So ridiculous. I never finished it either.

Oblivion was a much better game. It was the first game I ever got 1000/1000 on.
  • Oh the Quest system in Morrowind was complete garbage. If you didn't play it daily, or took a break etc. you'd forget what you were doing and you'd have to root through your journal through all of these entries trying to figure out what it was that you were up to.

its the only game I've got 1250/1250
    such easy achievements
    now I feel like playing oblivion but I lent it to a friend :/
  • Fallout 3. The first time you open the vault door to the outside and it goes blinding-white. That. Was a moment. And then your eyes focus and the world, the wasteland, is before you.

WATS
  • Oh the Quest system in Morrowind was complete garbage. If you didn't play it daily, or took a break etc. you'd forget what you were doing and you'd have to root through your journal through all of these entries trying to figure out what it was that you were up to.

Dude, I started keeping a handwritten journal in real life to keep track of what I was doing in Morrowind! A few days of that and I decided to sell the game.

100% agreed about Oblivion, and it might also have been my first 1000/1000. I need one more Achievement in Shivering Isles to max the game.
  • DoosDoos Centurion

100% agreed about Oblivion, and it might also have been my first 1000/1000. I need one more Achievement in Shivering Isles to max the game.
    Me too. I bought SI, played it... forgot about it. I should play it again... but I don't wanna. :(
  • Fallout 3. The first time you open the vault door to the outside and it goes blinding-white. That. Was a moment. And then your eyes focus and the world, the wasteland, is before you.

WATS
    Yeah that is a big "woah" moment
  • One big moment for me was the music player for the 360 I really like how in many cases it would remove the background music and you could have you own song playing so if you really wanted you could have your own music playing to suit the mood.
    Now it's more awesome since i have a crapload of video game remixes on my Ipod.