This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

News

Comments

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    edited March 2012
    the son doesn't run shit, its just a face its the generals and stuff that run the show.

kim kong-nam(the eldest son) recently had a book out all about the country and the politics

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/17/north-korea-leader-not-long
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    The generals and stuff? Kim jong un is under the influence of the military but he still wants to go ahead with his fathers plans. Hes not fit torun a country , but neither was jong il. Hes not just a face as he has pull even though being guided by others.

Also Jong um wasnt the one who wrote the book, the book was written by Yoji Gomi, and he is referencing emails from kim jong um , who told him he never met jong un.

Honestly, stop posting about N.korea until you go back and do some research on the country and their anomosity with S.korea and really the rest of the world.

Thats not a put down , it really is interesting to learn about.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    i know hes not a ruler in the way, say, castro was, but his dad knew it was all hyperbole and show. his son was raised in that environment - to think he is a god. theres no way the guy isn't batshit insane. even as a figurehead he's scary as shit. If i was south korean I'd be building a liferaft and setting sail asap.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    ^^ That's a good read, Kay.

I'm too North American to ever understand a religious war though.

Suburbia has fully wrapped her arms around me.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    That was an interesting read. Also shows a hint near the end that they really dont want peace , since that would mean an end to what they know and IMO enjoy.
  • the train was from the states so the french politicians are saying it's an attack and that the english will never beat them. It's kinda funny.
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    edited July 2013
    Since i pretty much followed those news all w-e, let me recap what is known so far:

- Around 11:30PM the train is stopped for the night on a shift change in Nantes (about 10 miles away from Lac Megantic). Conductor and crew takes leaves at a near hotel.
    - Few minutes later a first fire is reported to the firestation as the locomotive started burning (broken gasline is suspected to have started that fire). Firefighters extinguishes it.
    - Somewhere between 11:30PM and 1:15AM the engine's brakes fail and the autopilot is activated (suspected) while no crew is on board.
    - Around 1:15AM the train gains lots of speed and once it arrives at a railroad curb (in Lac Megantic) it derails where one of the 73 tankers (filled with crude oil) shatters and caught fire. The combination of about 2000 degrees heat and burning crude oil starts multiple fires on the nearby buildings of downtown Lac Megantic (which btw is a small city...less than 150,000 residents, probably even less than 100,000).

As shown in both videos, that accident was quite destructful which ended up evacuating around 2,000 residents, killing at least 5 (around 40 still missing so far).

As for the blame game, nowhere i heard anyone blame americans or anyone else as it's too soon to even advance any theory of what actually happened and even less point fingers at anyone for the matter.

As for trying to understand ourselves how a train could restart on its own, i guess (Doos i think works for railroads) could possibly explain further details 'cause personally i don't know enough about trains to provide any theory.

If i hear about any further details on the news, i'll post them here. Prayers for victims, their families and friends.

Edit: If anyone wonders, the train belongs to the Montreal, Maine, and Atlantic Railroad corp.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I've read a few articles on it and there's conflicting info on each of em.

Either someone who knew what they were doing fucked with the train, the crew didn't tie it down properly or the possible engine fire screwed something up, which, with the fail safes a train has, shouldn't be possible.

My guess would be either of the first two options.

I can go into a bit more detail later..but I'm on my phone.. Such a pain to post with.
  • Doos wrote:
    I've read a few articles on it and there's conflicting info on each of em.

Either someone who knew what they were doing fucked with the train, the crew didn't tie it down properly or the possible engine fire screwed something up, which, with the fail safes a train has, shouldn't be possible.

My guess would be either of the first two options.

I can go into a bit more detail later..but I'm on my phone.. Such a pain to post with.

I feel as if this will go to court and we will all forget by the time a verdict is set.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    In my experience, the full story is never released to the public.
    Latest known details of what actually happened last friday night. It seems that when the locomotive started burning (in Nantes), firefighters shut down the motor which also shut down the main break lines. According to the MMA administrator, their employees activated the secondary brakes manually but somehow, even though it should've been enough to keep the train at a stand still, that procedure failed.

Also, it seems that the train was stopped on the main track instead of stopping it on the secondary line (which was free at the time) that has a derailment system to avoid the type of accident that followed.

Once the freight started moving on its own, it seems like it was too late to stop it and the train kept gaining speed (the track had a %1.2 slope). Near the curb where the derailment occured, all 5 locomotives unhooked from the rest of the load meaning nothing would/could now stop all those wagons from coming to a halt on their own.

The death toll rose to 13 death and still 37 missing so far as investigations and searches continues. Expect the number of dead rise as searches are getting closer to where the explosion/fire started.

MMA finally sent their Corp. administrator today only to state the obvious. Yet they refuse to take full responsibility nor offered any sense of condoleances to the victims. They also failed to reassure the residents while not mentioning how they intend to work to avoid another accident in the likes.

It's really a shame that such a corp. barely provided any presence nor further assistance since Friday night when, up 'til now, blames are pointed directly at them. I really hope the Gov't will put up strict security measures and frequent inspections to all those railroad Corps. to avoid any other tragedy like the one that occured last week-end.
  • Thats not even 1% of the towns population. They got lucky.
    Even if only 1 had died, it would've been 2 too many. That kind of event shouldn't occur (specially if it's caused by the lack of security measures)
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Rebelled wrote:
    Thats not even 1% of the towns population. They got lucky.

Tell that to those who lost a loved one in the accident.
  • They'll get over it. But the fact is, as bad as this was.. it could have been way worse. And with all the donations they're getting.. they have enough money to rebuild and more.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Lol "they will get over it"

It could always be worse. Any situation can. Though there is no quantifying the amount of pain someone goes through when losing someone close suddenly.

Though you're young and trying to be edgy so I doubt you would get it.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    They'll get over it?

You're being ridiculous and incredibly callow.

I guess heartless is the new cool.
  • The human brain does not have the capacity to cope with the worlds suffering. Just because Rebelled isn't crying in a corner over this doesn't make him a callow individual...even after that comment. There are far worse things happening in the world right now that aren't mere acts of randomness.

Its human nature to only care for those close to you. Is that train crash a tragedy? Of course it is. No one is denying that. But should we all stop and shed a tear for those lost? No. We can't do that...we're not capable of it. The world will keep spinning. All Rebelled did was point out things could have been far worse (that's an obvious point, but its still true) and that they will get over it. There is nothing heartless about it. Its the truth.

There is no need for Law, Doos or any other individual to come in and start throwing around ad hominems like they're going out of style.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    The human brain though has empathy.

Also , he said he gets a warm fuzzy feeling when someone does something stupid and gets killed from it. Have you never done anything stupid. Do you deserve to die and have people laugh and point at your mangled corpse and be glad youre gone?

its not human nature to only care about those close to you. There are many, many people who care about people as a whole. No I didn't cry over what happened with the train , or the airplane crash but I can greatly appreciate the loss people feel.

What Rebelled said was in my opinion, idiotic.

• Everyone does stupid things.. but when you knock at death's door and have it close on you.. well you get what's coming.

A girl is so obsessed with her phone she jumps down on a metro track with warnings EVERYWHERE and High voltage signs to get her phone and gets zapped. Some other girl walked in between two carts because she was texting and not looking infront of her.

2 weeks ago, a drunk driver crashed into a school.. he's had 2 DUI's and didn't have his license anymore. It was 7am.. No kids were hurt. The driver died.

Then the media talks to the families of the "victims" and all they talk about is how smart and even brilliant they were.. how they had such a bright future and they were the "perfect" brother, sister, mother, father,etc.

Also, great appreciate the loss? You Monster !
  • edited July 2013
    Law212 wrote:

Also , he said he gets a warm fuzzy feeling when someone does something stupid and gets killed from it. Have you never done anything stupid. Do you deserve to die and have people laugh and point at your mangled corpse and be glad youre gone?

its not human nature to only care about those close to you. There are many, many people who care about people as a whole. No I didn't cry over what happened with the train , or the airplane crash but I can greatly appreciate the loss people feel.

Yes...empathy. The ability to feel for other individuals other than oneself.

Also, I am referring to the train incident and Rebelled's comments. I don't understand why you're bringing in the "warm and fuzzy" stuff. He has stated no such remarks about those who died in the train crash. It also has no correlation to what I replied to or your comment against his "they will get over it" statement (which is what I talked about solely in my reply). I can see that logic no longer plays a role in this debate and it will eventually (as it already has) turn into you throwing around ad hominems with absolutely zero relevance to my statements.

So I shall leave you to it, alone.
  • Law212 wrote:

Here is where the loss of life gets really complex. Take one jewish person and a Palestine person. one kills the other family member so the other acts out revenge. How do you even apply empathy to this. This is an ongoing cycle. Death is something that is part of life and unpredictable.

Straight up it could of been a lot worse, no matter which way around it they got lucky. The simple matter here is this is the price of working with hazardous materials. Work in the military, expect death. Work with hazards, expect death. With with heavy machinery, expect death. Desk job expect a heart attack or something not worth reporting. It's the media that puts more merit on something fantastical versus common. Should we really feel more for those that died a freak way then your classic way.

Celebrity has a heart attack now we give a shit? Do we put false idols on a higher rank? The whole aspect of it is tricky to me. I choose to not give.

Does the event suck. Yes.
    Does it have an impact on you directly?
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    Kayareswon wrote:
    Law212 wrote:

Here is where the loss of life gets really complex. Take one jewish person and a Palestine person. one kills the other family member so the other acts out revenge. How do you even apply empathy to this. This is an ongoing cycle. Death is something that is part of life and unpredictable.

Straight up it could of been a lot worse, no matter which way around it they got lucky. The simple matter here is this is the price of working with hazardous materials. Work in the military, expect death. Work with hazards, expect death. With with heavy machinery, expect death. Desk job expect a heart attack or something not worth reporting. It's the media that puts more merit on something fantastical versus common. Should we really feel more for those that died a freak way then your classic way.

Celebrity has a heart attack now we give a shit? Do we put false idols on a higher rank? The whole aspect of it is tricky to me. I choose to not give.

Does the event suck. Yes.
    Does it have an impact on you directly?

Interesting comment about the media as well as celebrity worship. As someone who works in the media and deals with varying degrees of celebrities, my opinions on those two items haven't changed:

The media is generally irresponsible and preys off sensationalism in all respects to get ratings and profit. They fear monger everything because fear sells. Look at weather reports. How many times does the media go on and on and on about SNOWPOCALYPSE coming and we're all doomed, only for us to get a light dusting not even worth mentioning for Canadian weather? That's just the weather, let alone the horrible way I've seen many news agencies deal with real tragedies simply for the sake of ratings.

For celebrities, I've never understood celebrity worship and why people care so much for them. I'm not talking about liking them for the entertainment they provide, but for putting a false idol on a higher rank, as you put it. I just don't get it. They're entertainers, and if they're not presently entertaining me, they're simply people just like everyone else. Why should they be treated as VIPs simply because they can shoot a puck better than most, sing better, wear make up and look fake better?

Society truly makes me sad.

In a more general sense outside of the media and celebrities, I'm a firm believer in natural selection. So in the example Rebelled gives regarding the girl who died from trying to save her mobile from a subway train, do I find that funny or does it make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. No. I think it's sad that it happened, but it's also sad that she did something foolish like that and prized an inanimate object with cash value over the possibility of her life that has no defined value since it's irreplaceable.

And she died for it.

Natural selection.

It's sad that something like that happened and I wish things like that wouldn't happen, but it's nature's way and things like that have, do, and will happen and there's nothing I can do to prevent it.

I hope that all makes sense and doesn't sound too shallow.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Rebelled wrote:
    Everyone does stupid things.. but when you knock at death's door and have it close on you.. well you get what's coming.
    !

That's true and I agree.
    Rebelled wrote:
    A girl is so obsessed with her phone she jumps down on a metro track with warnings EVERYWHERE and High voltage signs to get her phone and gets zapped. Some other girl walked in between two carts because she was texting and not looking infront of her. !

Here is the difference. One person might look at this story and go "haha idiot!"

Another, like just might question why people value such trivial things and risk death over them.

Others still might feel some sympathy for the girl not thinking and losing her life, as well as for the family for losing someone.

I've never really been one myself to laugh at other people's misfortune.
    Rebelled wrote:
    2 weeks ago, a drunk driver crashed into a school.. he's had 2 DUI's and didn't have his license anymore. It was 7am.. No kids were hurt. The driver died. !

I think some people here don't quite understand things. (as shown by the incomprehensible ramblings of Legend)

Ive never said you have to obsess over every bad thing that happens, but to get joy from deaths , or not care about what happened because you didn't know the people involved is pretty selfish and narrow minded. Like the soccer story. Ya Im not sad that the guy was quartered and beheaded. My thoughts were of how people can be in such a mindset to do that to another person. Its not normal or sane.

I tend to look at the wide picture , look at what consequences are, what lessons there are and how it affects anything.
    Rebelled wrote:
    Then the media talks to the families of the "victims" and all they talk about is how smart and even brilliant they were.. how they had such a bright future and they were the "perfect" brother, sister, mother, father,etc.!

The media is no better than MTV.
    Rebelled wrote:
    Also, great appreciate the loss? You Monster !

I don't even know WTF youre saying at the end there. but ok.

Yesterday I think it was Legend who said people aren't wired to care about people they don't know.

Which is complete bullshit as shown by when I saw the injured cyclist, who I didn't know, my first thought was to stop and help.

So people are generally wired to think on a community scale. About the greater good, its just that lots of people get conditioned to only think of themselves. That's not how we were made , that's how people get conditioned by media.