This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

News

Comments

• Just playing devil's advocate here, but the kid wasn't unarmed. He was in a running motor vehicle that he had already used as a weapon against a police officer during the chase. That's considered lethal force, and so it's reasonable for a police officer to fire his weapon. If the officer had the kid in the car at gunpoint, and ordered him to turn off the car, and then instead the kid made even the slightest hint at accelerating or revved the engine, I can completely understand why the officer opened fire.

That being said, was it completely necessary for the officer to fire? Maybe, maybe not. It's easy for us as outsiders to look at that situation in hindsight and say "Oh the officer should have [insert alternative] " but the fact is, we weren't in that situation that the officer was. We don't know what exactly was going through his head. And all we have to go on is the information supplied by the media. Plus, we have all the time in the world to sit and contemplate it. His decision was a quickly made one in the field, under stress.

I'm not saying that situation was handled well. I'm not saying I feel the officer made the right choice. But it's amazing how quickly people come down on cops for doing their job. It's not an easy job most days, and now, that officer has to live with the consequences of his actions. And if you think for one second, that he isn't replaying the entire event over and over in his head, thinking of all the ways he could have done it different, you're kidding yourself.
  • Just playing devil's advocate here, but the kid wasn't unarmed. He was in a running motor vehicle that he had already used as a weapon against a police officer during the chase. That's considered lethal force, and so it's reasonable for a police officer to fire his weapon. If the officer had the kid in the car at gunpoint, and ordered him to turn off the car, and then instead the kid made even the slightest hint at accelerating or revved the engine, I can completely understand why the officer opened fire.

That being said, was it completely necessary for the officer to fire? Maybe, maybe not. It's easy for us as outsiders to look at that situation in hindsight and say "Oh the officer should have [insert alternative] " but the fact is, we weren't in that situation that the officer was. We don't know what exactly was going through his head. And all we have to go on is the information supplied by the media. Plus, we have all the time in the world to sit and contemplate it. His decision was a quickly made one in the field, under stress.

I'm not saying that situation was handled well. I'm not saying I feel the officer made the right choice. But it's amazing how quickly people come down on cops for doing their job. It's not an easy job most days, and now, that officer has to live with the consequences of his actions. And if you think for one second, that he isn't replaying the entire event over and over in his head, thinking of all the ways he could have done it different, you're kidding yourself.

Well said.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    No, cops are nothing but gutless murderers!!!

Actually though I posted more about how bad it would be to call just to teach your kid a lesson, and end up having that lesson kills your kid. To be honest, the cops aren't people I would call to teach a teen a lesson. Cops can be unpredictable and put them against a hormonal teen and you never know what can happen.

• In other, much better news, i'm back. Rejoice, people...
  • MSQGanner wrote:
    In other, much better news, i'm back. Rejoice, people...
    Where you been?

• Lactos wrote:
    MSQGanner wrote:
    In other, much better news, i'm back. Rejoice, people...
    Where you been?
    I was lost in translation... damn interwebz lol

• Law212 wrote:
    No, cops are nothing but gutless murderers!!!

Actually though I posted more about how bad it would be to call just to teach your kid a lesson, and end up having that lesson kills your kid. To be honest, the cops aren't people I would call to teach a teen a lesson. Cops can be unpredictable and put them against a hormonal teen and you never know what can happen.

this is true, some cops I have met are awesome and others are not so much

• I've met one or two nice cops, as well as a couple of douchebags. But I have a lot of respect for cops.

A former friend's brother is a cop, so he'd sometimes pull him over when he'd see him driving around. He did it to us once or twice when we were all driving somewhere.

He's a nice guy
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    I've met a few nice cops, the youth officer at my highschool was a really nice guy. easy to talk to never felt intimidated by him he spent his time in my one class cause we had a lot of students that the school deemed needed extra eyes(they were cool though they just skipped a lot, but who never skipped lol), but he also liked the food and the coffee we had in that class lol.

others were fuckin assholes strung up on their authority and power.
  • I was drunk in a port town near St. Catharine's one night, and ended up getting lost. There were a bunch of bars in one area, and I followed my friends into one outdoor one. However, there were so many people that they ended up turning one way and then I turned another and we lost each other.

I spent a while walking around, looking for them, but they wouldn't let me back in. I pre-drank, and was drunk, but I was still sensible. I wanted to meet up with my friends, because I didn't want to be stuck outside and didn't have a cellphone. Who knew what they'd do.

Anyways, I walked around and saw a couple of cops just standing there. I told them the situation then asked for their help to get back in because I'm not someone who will cause any issue or anything. I just wanted to get back with my friends, and we'd leave if need be. But they were assholes, kind of laughed and said to move on. Essentially, "Fuck off."

I had to borrow someone's cellphone, call them and then look around.

During an earlier trip, we pre-drank and then walked to a nice little bar in St. Catharine's. There, we had some drinks while watching some crappy band. For some reason, their music annoyed me and got me in a bad mood.

My friend started talking to these American girls when we went out to the patio, as well as one of his old roommates, and I wasn't aware of the former. I stood beside their booth, drunk, and he tried telling me. However, I went on about how Americans pissed me off and stuff like that, because I thought they were kind of ignorant. Then, I realized what he was saying, and looked over.

They were furious, and since I'd already stuck my foot in my mouth, I argued with them. Then, I was told to go back to my friend's, because he wanted to score with them. He gave me money for a cab (just five bucks), but I didn't want to use his money or take charity so I walked and got lost for a bit, but eventually made it back.

I guess I absentmindedly (and out of habit) locked his door when I went into his room to lay down while fuming (I was mad at him for ditching me), but ended up falling asleep. As such, he and another friend had to crawl in through the window. I was wondering why I woke up on his bed and they were both on the floor.

As it turned out, the American girls led him on then said they had to go back to their vehicle and ditched them.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Well they were mad that you talked bad about them. You cock blocked your friends!
  • That's fair. I don't know if I cock blocked them, though. The girls were just leading my friend on.
  • bros before hos
    applies to cockblocking, ya dun goofed
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Cock blocking in my one circle of friends is now called 'New Zealanding'.

Some friends and I were in a bar in a booth and directly behind my seat in the booth was a small table with two girls sitting in it.

A buddy of mine was arriving back at our booth and started talking to the two girls.

One of them mentioned that they had just gotten back from New Zealand and I turned in the booth when I heard that and said 'Hey, I was in New Zealand!' and they just kind of looked at each other and promptly walked away.

I know I ain't the sleekest of cats.. but damn.

So.. ever since then.. it's 'Aw.. You New Zealanded me buddy!' or 'Don't New Zealand me tonight..'

Heh heh.
  • Doos wrote:
    Cock blocking in my one circle of friends is now called 'New Zealanding'.

Some friends and I were in a bar in a booth and directly behind my seat in the booth was a small table with two girls sitting in it.

A buddy of mine was arriving back at our booth and started talking to the two girls.

One of them mentioned that they had just gotten back from New Zealand and I turned in the booth when I heard that and said 'Hey, I was in New Zealand!' and they just kind of looked at each other and promptly walked away.

I know I ain't the sleekest of cats.. but damn.

So.. ever since then.. it's 'Aw.. You New Zealanded me buddy!' or 'Don't New Zealand me tonight..'

Heh heh.

You still have the best stories @Doos.
  • I'm still adamant that I did not cock block, though. I mean, I left and let them do what they wanted to (try to) do. But they did not end up doing that, because their targets took advantage of them and then left.
  • agreed juxt, doos stories are best stories
  • the1npc wrote:
    agreed juxt, doos stories are best stories

I agree with your agreement of my comment.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    People like it when you're both awesome and self deprecating. So.. people like me!

I'm really humble and modest too.. and good looking.. let's not forget incredibly good looking.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Yeah I just find it sad that the government is backing big pharma . Goes to show that the government isn't for the people, its for big business.
  • Law212 wrote:
    Yeah I just find it sad that the government is backing big pharma . Goes to show that the government isn't for the people, its for big business.

No surprises there.
  • Nelson Mandela died today. Living in Canada, we sometimes forget that some people had to fight to recognized as equal human beings. RIP
  • Leafs13 wrote:
    Rest in peace, good sir.

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    edited December 2013
    RIP Mr. Mandela. You were a real modern day Hero. May your legacy live on forever.