This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Blizzard Entertainment Game Night

Comments

• @Mecandes said:
    Xbox One: Diablo III (I've kind of maxed my progress in it, but would still love playing it)
    PC: StarCraft 2 (I played through the campaign but suck at multiplayer)

For StarCraft II do you have the expansions or core game?

• Hey all,

A reminder about the game night tonight with Heroes of the Storm; 8:30 pm eastern.

@Smoreninja @Law212 @Sintacs @EchoGolfSierra @TimothyWedel @Rajio @VanishedNine

Tag anyone who has the game I may have forgotten. If all are present, we'll create two Parties (since the game has a cap of five as I recall).

Hope to see you all there!

• I won't be able to make it...sorry fella's

• 50% chance ill make it at this point

• Just playing one game of League with a buddy then I should be on. Will be a little late.

• I'll be good for an hour but then I gotta hit the gym.

• Thanks to @Smoreninja , @TimothyWedel , @Law212 , and @EchoGolfSierra for the games; that was a lot of fun and we'll have to do this again!

@Law212 has suggested doing a weekly games night for Blizzard Entertainment games, where we rotate the games. So we did Heroes of the Storm, and we can do Diablo III next, and I certainly want to do a Diablo II classic night.

Would you all be in to it that frequently? If so, I'd say we should pick and rotate between four games. Also, for the date, Thursday nights as the norm?

Let me know your thoughts!

• Not a big fan of MOBAs but maybe I'll give this Heroes of the Storm game a whirl. If I can stand it, I'll try to jin in next time.

Thursdays may work usually but weekends are best for me.

• @Lactos said:
    Not a big fan of MOBAs but maybe I'll give this Heroes of the Storm game a whirl. If I can stand it, I'll try to jin in next time.

Thursdays may work usually but weekends are best for me.

I had never played a MOBA before, but tried and got in to Heroes of the Storm. We mostly play against the AI, though I've played and enjoyed casual Quick Matches and had a great time.

What's your Battle.net ID @Lactos? I'll add you and send you a Recruit a Friend request for Heroes of the Storm, which will grant you Raynor for free, and unlock Sylvanas for you when you reach Level 10.

• Don't have one yet. I'll post here when I get around to starting one.

Juxtapose
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion

I currently only have Warcraft 2 installed. Haven't played HoTS in forever, and I generally end up missing games anyway, so I uninstalled it a little while ago. Could install some other classic stuff again but I probably won't be installing any modern Blizz stuff again anytime soon.

Juxtapose
  • Was a fun time! Wish it would have been longer but a bunch of us had to head out for other engagements unfortunately.

• Yeah, I forgot that I go to the gym on Thursdays. My bad.

• No worries all.

So in general then, is Thursday a bad day for this game night?

• @Sintacs said:
    I currently only have Warcraft 2 installed. Haven't played HoTS in forever, and I generally end up missing games anyway, so I uninstalled it a little while ago. Could install some other classic stuff again but I probably won't be installing any modern Blizz stuff again anytime soon.

Fair enough. Do you have classic Warcraft II installed, or Battle.net Edition?

In terms of the classic games, I absolutely plan on doing a Diablo II night soon, as it's had the most interest expressed in.

• Sunday and wed are usually best for me...but I can usually do thursdays

Juxtapose

@Juxtapose Battle.net Edition, if I can avoid using DOSbox with old stuff, I will :P

• @Sintacs said:
    @Juxtapose Battle.net Edition, if I can avoid using DOSbox with old stuff, I will :P

Nice, that's the version I have as well.

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work in Windows 10? It's 640x480 as I recall, and Windows 10 minimum resolution is 800x600 I think.

@Juxtapose I may have, I don't really remember. When I first read that I didn't think I had to do anything, but I just remembered that Batle.net isn't working in it, so I may have installed something to get it working. Mine's definitely running in 640x480 though:

war2.jpg 236.4K

So I was trying to figure out what I did, and I think for the most part, Battle.net just doesn't work for the game in general anymore. I didn't really tweak anything, but I did download a file to allow for IPX network play (though it spoofs it over your LAN since IPX isn't a part of Windows anymore). Looks like WC2 would probably be out as there would be a little bit of setup required to get games going, and a 3rd party app (Hamachi for example) would be needed to get a network game going online.

I'm pretty sure Battle.net is still working with StarCraft though, I'm gonna install it now and check to confirm.

• I would love to get warcraft 2 the tides of darkness running...I loved that game

Apparently there is a fan-made port (Wargus) for the DOS version of Warcraft 2 that has working online multiplayer and support for modernish resolutions. I don't have the original DOS release though so I'd have to "acquire" it somewhere.

StarCraft looks to be working on Battle.net, though some menus seem to persist onscreen after they're gone, causing setups of games to be a bit on the difficult side.

• @Sintacs That's awesome. I wonder if Diablo works or not on Battle.net. I know Blizzard Entertainment considers StarCraft: Anthology, Diablo II and its expansion, and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion to be their "Classic," games and they still support them. The others I think they are completely done with and no more Battle.net Support.

For Starcraft, did you install off your original discs or the digital Anthology copy?

For the install and to get the game to work, nothing special required?

I installed form the discs and copied the "INSTALL.EXE" files from each disc to the game folder and renamed em to "StarCraft.mpq" and "BroodWar.mpq" respectively, this allows you to play without the discs. I also had to go to the Blizz support site (select StarCraft in the dropdown box for access to the patches) to manually download the patch, as the automatic patch in-game didn't work.

There can be some coloration issues in the game, I've had this happen in the past, but this install seems to be fine so far. If you happen to have issues with the colors, you can make a batch file to run the game that should fix it. To make the batch file, simply open notepad, enter the following:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Starcraft\Starcraft.exe
    explorer.exe
    exit

then save it as StarCraft.bat (or whatever you wanna name it, just make sure it's .bat). If you have the game installed to a different location than the default, or your drive letter is not C, change the address accordingly.

Installing the digital version shouldn't require anything outside of the batch file fix if you encounter the color issues.

Juxtapose
  • do we have a blizzard game night this week...and what is on the grill

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Were all going over to Juxts place and doing a lan party this time for some diablo 2.

SintacsEchoGolfSierra
  • @Law212 said:
    Were all going over to Juxts place and doing a lan party this time for some diablo 2.

Lan party, no, but one day a gaming gathering may not be a bad idea at all.

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    do we have a blizzard game night this week...and what is on the grill

I wasn't hearing any feedback on it being weekly so suspected people weren't interested in it that often.

Having said that, if you all wanted to do a game night tonight I'd be 100% down.

If so, about 8:30 EST would work for me again. We did Heroes of the Storm last time, and we could certainly do that again, or perhaps fire up Diablo III since a few of us recently bought that.

I would also be down for a classic night and install/play Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (I'd need to install it myself as it's not currently on my system).

Thoughts?

@EchoGolfSierra @Law212 @TimothyWedel @Smoreninja @Sintacs @Lactos

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited January 2017
    That's 5:30 pacific? I'd be up for either a bit of HotS or Diablo. Would be on for too long because I have to prepare for live tweeting the Nintendo event for LevelSave at 8:00