This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

!Movies! - Old - New - !Movies!

1144145146147148150»

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Sounds good. I might check it out Friday night

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited April 20

I watched a movie called Your Name (Kimi no na wa). When this movie came out it was an incredible success. I think it ended up being the #1 grossing movie in Japan ever and when it came to North America it was being talked about heavily in the film scene for being an Oscar contender. The dub came out on Bluray in North America in November after an almost two year wait from its original Japanese release and it has been sitting on my shelf waiting to be watched since. I waited years to watch it but circumstances never let me watch it (was never in the right mood/mindset, I was afraid that the hype was going to ruin it for me, house is always noisy and I didn't want any distractions). I finally found time to watch it and it met and exceeded all of my expectations.

The trailer for the movie is very misleading, in a kind of good kind of bad way. It makes the whole movie seem like it's a Japanese slice of life/romance movie, and it is, but it is also so much more than that.

The main character Mitsuha lives in rural Japan and is fed up with both the lifestyle and the expectations of being a female there. She wants nothing more than to be a boy living in Tokyo. One day her wish comes true and she starts body swapping with a high school boy named Taki who currently lives in Tokyo. They both learn to live with this, some days in their own life, some days in a strangers life, by leaving notes for each other filling the other in on what happened in their life that day.

One day the body swapping stops and Taki is left to wonder why. He starts to forget Mitsuha and all of his experiences living in her life so he decides to track her down and meet her in person. That's when he learns the devastating truth of Mitsuha and the village she lives in.

It's a story about time unraveling, giving Taki a chance to change the events of over 3 years and stop a terrible disaster from happening.

It is absolutely beautiful in every way. The story, the characters, the music are all so good. The animation and art style is unlike anything you have ever seen before. Watch the trailer above and imagine that but even clearer and more stunning. I tried to pick out a couple of examples of how stunning it can be below. (again, the bluray still looks way better than these shots)

I know most of you aren't into anime but I highly recommend you give Your Name a shot. If not for anything but to see the crazy future animation is headed in. It has caught the attention of people all over the film industry for so many different reasons. Excluding a couple of 5 second scenes it is one of the least "japanese" things out there. It's Disney in Japan but if Disney movies looked 5x better than they do now.

I'll gladly send my bluray over to anyone who wants to watch it.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Looks better than the trash I watched last night.

Bad Mom's Christmas....
    Why? Why did I have to watch this piece of absolute crap? No, no one else forced me, it was my pick. I wanted a comedy. It promised laughs. It didn't deliver. It was the worst thing I've seen in a long long time.
    Please dont watch this. I made a huge mistake. Its like a bad taste you cant get out of your mouth but its not in my mouth its in my head.

I think its so bad that I can legally sue everyone involved in making the movie.

• Bad Mom's Christmas seems like one of those movies you would only watch if you were a Kristen Bell or Mila Kunis superfan

• Law212Law212 Centurion
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched Blade of the Immortal Just now.

It was really good
    I was hooked right from the start. It was well shot , had a cool story and some great characters.

I bought the steelbook form amazon, but it was region B. Luckily I have a region B set up as well so its fine, but just a heads up to others.

Great movie though, I haven't watched an Asian movie in a long time, but this is directed by Takashi Miike and I love his movies. Ichi the Killer was recently released on blu ray and I picked it up. Its another great one which i need to watch again.

He has done other weird and crazy movies like Audition and Visitor Q.

Check this one out though its a sword fighting movie with a revenge plot and just some great characters, scenery and style.

• Just the box art alone makes me want to buy it
  • TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    I saw Infinity War. It was awesome (which I wasn't expecting given how much I disliked civil war). I have major issues with the way it ended though.
  • DoosDoos Centurion

I went on a little Tarantino kick and watched Inglorious Basterds, Hateful 8, True Romance and Death Proof.

Enjoyed myself on all of 'em but I think Death Proof was my favorite this time around.

Kurt Russel is the best.

Streaker1978
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched Deadpool 2 on sunday.
    It was good. It was funny , but like the first, I dont know if id enjoy it a second time. It did have some slow moments and some jokes that were dragged out and not funny. On the other hand it had a lot of jokes that were hilarious. Cable was great and I loved another character that shows up later.

Go check it out, its silly and there is a lot more of the breaking of the 4th wall and lots of references to other pop culture and comic book series right from the beginning and all the way to the very end. (stick around for the after credits)

Juxtapose
  • I recently watched Black Panther. I liked it but was a little disappointing as I got sucked into all the hype.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched Pacific Rim last night. I saw this a few years ago in 2D and i liked it. I finally watched it in 3D last night and it was incredible. Amazing visuals and really good 3D.

Some stupid parts but its just an action movie with giant monsters. So for that, it was amazing. Now I can watch the sequel in 3D .

I also watched another (half of) movie . I thought it was a kids movie , and maybe it is but it had a ton of sexual innuendo. It was called Quackerz and the 3D was incredible.

Stuff was outside of the screen non stop. and it wasnt a bad movie

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched I Tonya the other night. I like movies that are based on events I remember happening in my lifetime. When i was younger all these movies based on true events were events that happened before I was born .

Anyway the movie was pretty good. Funny, a bit sad and pretty fun.
    I love that they showed short clips of interviews with the actual people at the end. Margot Robbie did a great job , as did the other actors

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@Law212 That's the movie about Tonya Harding, correct?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@Juxtapose said:

Yes it is.

@Law212 said:

@Juxtapose said:

Yes it is.

Cool. I liked the trailer for it, as it looked quite interesting.

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    edited August 7

I finally got around to seeing Black Panther on sunday... I saw it in 4K, and might watch the 3D version , but maybe not since the movie was pretty bland.

Bad fights. Like boring, not exciting and slow paced as in you can see the actors thinking too much about the choreography while doing the moves.

There is a scene in some club where black panthers guard has a spear and it swinging it around knocking people over , but shes not putting any force or speed into the hits so it took me out of the immersion.

Even the main character , ole panther himself was not exciting to watch fight. Nor was he likable. Sure he was a good guy but he was a very boring guy too. Killmonger and the leader of the gorilla tribe were far more fun to watch on screen.

The CG was very bad through the movie.
    The story was very basic and very predictable. It was marvel paint by numbers.

Many spots where it looked like the star wars prequels where you can see a major separation between the characters and the green screen.

Big disappointment after how highly people talked about this movie.

Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I saw Mission Impossible Monday evening. After the major letdown I saw the day before, this movie made me believe in movie making again.

Great characters. All of them were interesting and had a reason to be there.
    The fights were incredible, and very intense. Better fights than i have seen in any movie this year.

Great action sequences involving car chases, helicopter chases and on foot chases. This movie had tons of twists . This is one series that keeps getting better. But Tommy is aging, how logn can he keep this up? Ill keep watching his movies though.

I need to go back and watch this series. The first movie is completely different, the second movie was all about action and i dont recall it having twists but 3 is where the rest of the franchise gets its footing and ramps up in every aspect.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched Gods of Egypt in 3D last night. Entertaining movie. I loved the setting in AnCient egypt with gods and mortals. Fun adventure movie.

• @law212 that's whack. I think Black Panther is one of the most, of not the most, visually stunning Marvel movie yet. Probably a close second behind Doctor Strange at least.

I'm super pumped to see Mission Inpossible soon. I've missed most of the great summer blockbusters so far this year but I refuse to miss Mission Impossible.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I think people give marvel movies a pass on their shortcommings that they dont give other movies. Black panther is bad. So was thor ragnarok. Im hoping infinity war is a lot better and I think it will be because I really liked age of Ultron, and the cap America movies.

I think I even enjoyed gods or Egypt more than black panther

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion

@Law212 said:
    I watched I Tonya the other night. I like movies that are based on events I remember happening in my lifetime. When i was younger all these movies based on true events were events that happened before I was born .

Anyway the movie was pretty good. Funny, a bit sad and pretty fun.
    I love that they showed short clips of interviews with the actual people at the end. Margot Robbie did a great job , as did the other actors

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched the original Jurassic Park in 3D last night. To get ready to watch Jurassic World 3D then fallen Kingdom 3D.

JP holds up well. It looked great in 3D and the movie was tons of fun. I remember seeing it in theatres all those years ago, and watching it last night took me back. Great movie.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I watched Annihilation the other night....It started off promising, but it really started to fall apart as the movie went on. I dont think the people who made the movie knew what they were trying to say.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I was sick all long weekend so i got a few movies in.
    Another was Saving Private Ryan in 4K
    Still a great movie and some great effects. And somme terrible effects. There was a scene where some allied soldiers jump on a german tank and throw grenades into it and kill those inside, but then the germans come from behind with a mounted gun and mow them all down off the tank. Well there is a scene with those men just getting destroyed by those bullets and the one standing directly infront you can tell is a dummy. It stands on the tank stiff and then explodes , then the scene is shown 2 more times from other angles and it becomes comical.

Thats the only bad effect i noticed in the movie.

I love how many well known actors are in it that when I first watched the film I didnt even know who they were at the time.

The movie had a simple story to it, get a small squad to find a soldier who lost his 3 brothers and get him back to his mom.

It makes you wonder if that was worth the lives of the soldiers who were trying to find him or not. Since the only shot we see of Ryan in the battle, hes sitting hugging his knees and crying ....

Also when the German that they let go comes back in the last battle to kill Hank's character...

The whole squad pretty much died for this guy....

really good movie still and in 4K is looked amazing.

This movie made way for the two TV series The Pacific and Band of Brothers. I watched the PAcific and it was great, now i need to watch Band of Brothers

• @Law212 Band of Brothers is the better of the two...it is awesome

@VanishedNine said:
    @Law212 Band of Brothers is the better of the two...it is awesome

I never saw Band of Brothers but would like to. Saving Private Ryan was a great flick though.

• DoosDoos Centurion

Oh you need to watch BoB. It's the best WWII there is.

@Doos said:
    Oh you need to watch BoB. It's the best WWII there is.

I know! Dude, my "need to watch list" is the equivalent of most people's video game backlogs.