This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

What are you listenin to!?

1495051525355»

Comments

• I stopped using my ipod and started listening to Spotify. What ever is playing is good. I'm liking Rock the Block channel.

• DoosDoos Centurion

You might be into this, @Sintacs. I'm super digging it.

Heard it on the radio the other night and had to look into it.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited May 15

Not gonna lie, I didn't dig it all that much, but I wouldn't say I completely disliked it either. It sounds a tad too close to screamo to me, which is something I've never been into. The scream/emo/scene thing was big here years ago but I really hated it, then again I'm generally somewhat picky with music (at least with what I personally listen to, I'll generally go with whatever is on when out with the exception of country and the beatles, seriously, fuck the beatles), even though it may not seem that way at times with my taste in it lol. Though I'm most picky when it comes to screamy/shouty types of music. Now after typing this while giving that track a second go maybe its growing on me a bit, still probably not a band I'd look into further but definitely not bad, I'm actually getting a GWAR vibe from some bits of the instrumental. In recent years I've been more into Viking metal when it comes to metal, though not exclusively. I've probably posted Tyr before, I don't know if you've ever heard of/listened to them, but they're pretty awesome, and the best (IMO) Viking metal band:

On a completely unrelated note, in the past week I've actually been listening to a ton of The Aquabats and Shpongle.

(The Shpongle track doesn't really get going till around 2 min in)

• DoosDoos Centurion
    edited May 15

I definitely picked up a Gwar vibe as well. In fact when I first heard it I thought it was Gwar and they'd gone prog. I had to whip my phone out and video record it just so I could get a clip of it to try and track down later.

The main riff is very reminiscient of some of Gwars stuff. I just really dig how eclecticly they kind of mold it all together. As far as vocals are concerned, I don't really care for them but I do like how often they change them up.

Vocals for me are usually the largest hurdle I have to get over to enjoy a band.

It took me years of trying to get into Mastodon before I got over and started to enjoy their vocals. Fucking years. I'd be searching for new metal and people would always recommend Mastodon and I'd give 'em a try and get turned off by the singing.

It wasn't until I listened to the instrumental version of Crack The Skye that I fell in love and just accepted that the singing was part of it.

Hell, Rust in Peace is one of my favorite albums ever and I can't fucking stand Mustaine's voice but if you want to enjoy the riff work in 'Take No Prisoners' you have to accept that Mustaine is there grinding out his vocals.

As for tunes, I was doing a lot of cleaning the other day and re-visiting Mudvayne.

Man, their tracks (not videos) age like a fine wine and I'm pretty sure a big part of why is Ryan Martinie's bass work.

Shit is fucking tight as hell.

It's funny that you mention Mudvayne, I was listening to a bit of them and Mushroomhead one day last week. I never got super into nu-metal. There's been a couple bands I listened to a lot of (like Coal Chamber and Slipknot), and there was some I liked but never really bothered looking into beyond listening to them over at a friends place or whatever. The two I mentioned were always that kind of band for me though, some I liked but never really bothered listening to on my own. I've defeinitely had a few bands where it takes me a while to get into them, even though I don't entirely dig em to begin with, I find myself revisiting them a lot and they eventually grow on me. Primus is a good example of that for me.

I was actually listening to a decent bit of GWAR (though more of their older punkier stuff than the more recent metal stuff) recently too, then again I'm almost always listening to them so it never really clicks that I've been listening to them. God I miss Dave Brockie.

• DoosDoos Centurion

I mean, Scumdogs is a fucking great album. I gave that album a lot of time.

Primus is the balls, man. Or Primus sucks if you wanna follow the... meme? It was memeing before memes.

They have one of the best live albums I've ever heard. "Suck on This". If you haven't, check that shit out.

Been looking to dig up some Larry Lalonde guitar clinics or something, 'cause he's so out there, man. Nobody plays like that.

That bass player I posted above does a bunch of Primus if you're into watching covers and shit. I love that stuff because some of these dudes are just spot on and it's usually impossible to find good video of the actual artists playing their stuff.

I dunno if you play but that's a big part of why I listen to music is to try to find stuff to fiddle with on guitar.

Heh, whenever I recommend stuff I always have to go and re-visit it to see if I still stand by my recommendation. So I'm off to listen to 'Suck on This'.

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion

BACKSTREET'S
    BACK
    ALRIGHT

Doos

@Doos I'm so biased towards Scumdogs, was my first Gwar album and is still probably my favorite of theirs. I don't play anything but I've dabbled in electronic music a bit. Lately I've been listening to a lot of these guys:

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

Saw there was an acoustic version of this cover, so sharing that as well:

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Ya thats a nice song Juxt, but this one is much better

SintacsJuxtapose

@Law212 not just a better song, but the best song.