This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

What Did You Accomplish In Life Today?

1357358359360361363»

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Yeah less than a week. And we dont live together yet. So unlike most married guys i get to drop my wife off and not see her for a few days!

Juxtapose
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

I'm getting towards the three quarter mark of a very nice two week staycation. My health has been doing well throughout after I kicked a sinus infection right around the long weekend.

I enjoyed a great birthday weekend with family and friends last weekend, finished making my StarCraft: Remastered Custom Campaign, did all my fall maintenance around the house and got it ready for winter, detailed the inside of my car, and have spent some time walking around the lake, neighbourhood, and have generally taken it easy.

My grandparents are all in long term care homes now so I've helped my dad a bit with clean up at his parent's house as he's prepping to sell it.

I believe I told you guys last summer my Turtle ate a stone and it's stuck inside her. This was mid-July and it's still there and slowly killing her, which has me quite heartbroken. I've had this turtle since I was a child, she just turned 27 this past late September, and she's declining rapidly now. I'm expecting in early to mid November I'll be taking her to the vet to be put to rest since it's obvious she's starting to suffer.

I'll be getting another turtle shortly after as there's always been a turtle in my life, though the little guys are getting hard to find these days.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Me and Inna came across a baby snapping turtle at a park in whitby right after I got back from Greece. It was awesome to see and I never have seen turtles my whole life living in durham.

In greece as a kid I saw them all the time. Not snappers but regular turtles.

Juxtapose
  • OzziOzzi Centurion

Very sorry to hear about your Turtle Juxt, Losing a pet can be really tough. Especially a turtle you've had since childhood! Fingers crossed she will make a full recovery! All you can do is hope for the best at this point.

@Ozzi Yeah, that is really all I can do right now. Her throat swelling is slowly going away and she actually ate food for the first time in a month last night. I had to slowly hand feed her over 40 minutes just for her to eat four earth worms, but it was something.

I do know this is very likely to end one way at this point, but it still makes me quite sad.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

@Law212 I actually saw one a year or so back out on the road in front of my house, from where I saw it, it just kinda looked like nothing, but something in me knew it was a turtle so I went out, scooped it into a bucket, brought it in for the cat to check out, then dumped it off at a wooded/swampish area at the end of my street.

Don't generally see anything like that around here either, especially just out on a random street in the burbs.

Juxtapose

That's awesome, it really blended in well with the street.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

@Juxtapose yeah it really did, it's back was kinda dusty so it really matched the color of the road, and with it starting to rain, the specks of water helped add to that. I ran out and grabbed it up right away, figured it probably would have been run over pretty soon if I didn't.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Thats awesome. Much bigger than the one we saw. It was so hard to spot but because it was moving it caught my eye.

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited October 22

After years of struggling with my beliefs today I decided to leave the Church

I haven't attended church in over 2 years and that whole time I have been doing some serious thinking about where I stand in regards to my beliefs. My core belief as a Christian is that I should be kind, loving, supportive and be an example to both my fellow Christians and non-believers. That I should love my neighbors and treat them how I would like to be treated. That my beliefs are my own and to try and push them on anybody else would be wrong.

When I was still attending church I would constantly be leaving feeling guilty for my beliefs. When I showed love and support for my gay and trans friends I was sinning and leading my friends straight to Hell. When I donated money to help support refugees in my area and save lives I was helping spread corrupt beliefs and sin in our country. When I sent a baby gift to a friend who had a child outside of marriage I was, again, supporting sin and sinning myself for not pushing my beliefs onto my friend.

I realized a while ago that my core beliefs as a Christian are really just beliefs that any decent human being should have. Everyone should try to be kind. Everyone should try to be loving. Everyone should try to be a positive force to those around them. And when you believe those things outside of the context of religion all of the exclusions disappear. You can love and support your LGBTQ friends. You can love and support those who believe differently than you. You can love and support your non-religious friends.

I still believe in God. I still call myself a Christian. But I don't believe in the exclusions, the hate and the hypocrisy that the Church preaches. I don't have to feel guilty for being a decent guy. Realizing this has taken a great weight off of my shoulders.

I just needed to get that out somewhere.

JuxtaposeVanishedNineDoos

@TimothyWedel That's some major insight you've hit on man, congrats and I hope you're feeling some relief over the internal conflict you were having. I came to a similar conclusion myself a very long time ago.

I still respect religion and the good it can do for people, but frown upon all the negative and (to be honest) prejudices that others use it for.

I also believe that there's a higher power, though what that is I do not know. But when I die, should I come face to face with said power, I'll be able to honestly say that this is me, and I lived my life the way I believed was right. I was a good, honest person not because someone told me to be, but because I believe it was right and I did it on my own terms. And if this higher power does not approve, well, then it is not God.

Have you ever heard of Pelagius? He was a Roman lawyer roughly around 400 AD, and he challenged the Church and came into conflict with St. Augustine. It was world shaking events at the time, for he argued against the control the Church was pressing upon free people. You should read up on him if you haven't.

• Unfounded feelings of guilt should always be confronted. Good on you Tim for finding something that you feel confident in.

I am sorry about your turtle Juxt. That sucks.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    edited October 27

I love your posts, Tim. Not to sound like a fucking lame wad but I'm going to anyway, you're growing into a fine young man, yo.

JuxtaposeTimothyWedel
  • @Doos coming from you, someone who has known me for long enough (holy man pretty much a decade now) to have experienced how much of a little shit I was, that actually means a lot

thanks fam
    Juxtapose